Thread: Visitors visa general declined

Default Visitors visa general declined

My partner's general visitor visa application was declined. Reason they gave was previous applications raised a concern whether his stay in nz will be temporary. My partner was previously granted multiple entry visa in spet 2015 with 1 month per entry. He's been to nz 3x within a year and didnt breach the conditions of the visa at all. I also included him in my residence visa application june 2016 and his was deferred. We lived together in the phils but work required him to leave the country every two months. This is why we haven't lived together for one straight year. He has to stay in nz with me for a yr for the residence visa to be approved. But i withdrew the application in end of feb 2017 as we couldnt meet the requirement at the moment. He cant leave his job as there's a bond for the training he acquired last yr. It involves a huge amount of money. In october 2016 we applied for visit visa via partnership but the living together requirement was brought up. And they offered to convert to general visitors visa but said he had to leave within 3 months of issuance of visa which was not possible because he will be in papua new guinea working. So the officer declined the application. Now i sent additonal information to the officer detailing the previous applications and their outcome and now he's saying it's best to apply for partnership. Future general visitors visa will most likely be declined. So confused. Visitors visa is the only option for us now so that he can at least visit me every 2 months during his break from work. No plans for him staying permanently in nz for now. Any advise as to what to do next? Not really keen on hiring an adviser as it will be too expensive.

Which branch Is this?

He lodged an application in Papua New Guinea

You can apply for a visa under Partnership Temporary Visa (Travel or Work)

@eccs When you said, "And they offered to convert to general visitors visa but said he had to leave within 3 months of issuance of visa which was not possible because he will be in papua new guinea working," what did you mean by he had to leave within 3 months of issuance of visa? Did you mean he needs to arrive in NZ within three months?

Honestly, I think you should have taken the general visit visa option so you didn't have a declined visa application on your visa application history. It doesn't matter if he can't use this visa. Just as long as he had it approved. This offer was supposed to be your chance to compile your evidence in applying for a partnership-based visa. Since your husband is outside NZ, he also cannot submit an appeal regarding the decision.

INZ thinks your husband cannot be granted a visit visa under general instructions because he is not a bona fide tourist just by having his wife (you) here. By the looks of it, you're already a resident. Since CO already told you he cannot apply for a general visit visa in the future... what's left?

Here's an idea, not immigration advise, in case you get him approved a work visa via partnership, it doesn't mean that he has to stay in NZ permanently. He can hold a work visa for Papua New Guinea and NZ at the same time. An NZ work visa is a temporary visa. He can come and go with a work visa and can visit you, right?