Thread: SMC visa holder becoming self-employed?

Default SMC visa holder becoming self-employed?

Hi,

Sorry if that has already been explained somewhere in the forum - I have done lots of searching and I don't seem to be finding the answer.
    Since February 2017 I hold a SMC resident visa with no conditions (except travel but I think this is a standard) and would like to become self-employed in NZ (contractor/sole trader).

My situation is as follows:
    - I arrived to NZ on work visa sponsored by an accredited employer in May 2016;
    - in June 2016 I applied for SMC (I filed in EOI some time earier);
    - I remained in my (still current) job from May 2016 and the job is in Auckland
    - in Feb 2017 I got my SMC Residency with no conditions regarding holding my employment (I suppose because I had worked >3 months in the job)
    - my Auckland job is in marketing but I would like to do some contracting in graphic design (I know I will get clients) - so in fact I will work in a different job category as the one on which SMC was issued.

Now, the Immigration website says about SMC "This visa isn’t designed for people who are self-employed. If you want to work in your own business, you may wish to apply for an Entrepreneur Resident Visa instead."

I am thus confused - can I only work as an employee on SMC until I become a permanent resident (in 2 years time)? Do I have to remain in the same type of job (marketing)?

I would be very grateful if anyone could help out! Thank you!

That quote that you found applies to a person's situation when they are applying for residence, and doesn't apply after it's granted.

A residence visa holder can (within reason, and within NZ law) do anything they want - work at any job, skilled or not, start their own business, freelance, do nothing if they had means to support themself, be a student at domestic rates (though not eligible for NZ government loans till three years after becoming a resident)...

Thank you!
    Great news!