Thread: Australia to NZ - VISA

Lightbulb Australia to NZ - VISA

Hi there,
    Advice please and wondering if I should hire a Immigration Solicitor. We are planning to move permanently to NZ 2017 or 2018.
    Hubby is 60 in June and i am 57 soon. We are both unskilled office workers, but of course, with miles of experience.
    We purchased a 5acre block of land near Oamaru, South Island in 2016 and intent to build and settle there, as our daughter and only grandchild now live there, with her partner, who is an Oamaru local.
    I have done heaps of research, but am still confused. The Govt departments give me answers in "refer to ....." with a web link, and still cannot get my head around it.
    We have IRD number and bank accounts already set up. We will have to sell here in Australia to allow us to build in NZ.
    How do we get residence for NZ? - Appreciate any advice offered. Thank you, Deb.

Hi Deb are you an Australian Citizen? I have heard there are new processes in place to get NZ residence now from Australia. From what I understand it is based on certain timelines or dates. This is the what comes up when I look for a relevant visa to work from the Immigration.govt.nz site
    Aus NZ.jpg

If you are Australians, you don't need many formalities to get a NZ Residence visa. See this page and the criteria near the bottom, for what evidence you need. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa

And see here also. http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...dresidents.htm Notice the part that says this.
    If you intend to stay in New Zealand long term, you may decide to apply for a permanent resident visa (PRV). If you plan to apply for a PRV, your resident visa must be endorsed with travel conditions to ensure that it does not expire when you leave New Zealand.
    You can get Permanent Residence for NZ https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...anent-resident, if you meet the other conditions, after you have lived as a NZ Resident for two years. The reason for needing to get the travel conditions endorsed on your passport (just mentioned above) is that, without those, your NZ residence would stop any time you left the country, and start again on re-entry, so your passport records with the INZ computer would not show the continuous time as a resident needed in order to prove commitment to NZ and qualify for PR.

Thanks for your quick responses, Yes, we are both born and bred Aussies. I will look at the sites and see how I go,
    Much appreciated, Deb