Thread: Essential Skills for the second time

Default Essential Skills for the second time

My girlfriend has an Essential Skills Visa for one year that expires in July. We want to aply for a new one in April/May to be able to apply then for my partnership visa as well before it expires. We were wondering if it's possible to apply for another Essential Skills but not with the same employer? Or would it be viewed by INZ as something bad and it's better to stay with the old one?

It is perfectly acceptable for someone to change their job. However, she should make sure that she does not leave one job before getting the offer of a new one and applying for the new visa. An Essential Skills visa is dependent on the job named on it, so if she leaves the job, she invalidates the visa, and nobody can apply for a visa in the normal way from within NZ while they are not legally on a visa.

Good point. I almost forgot that detail. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    It is perfectly acceptable for someone to change their job. However, she should make sure that she does not leave one job before getting the offer of a new one and applying for the new visa. An Essential Skills visa is dependent on the job named on it, so if she leaves the job, she invalidates the visa, and nobody can apply for a visa in the normal way from within NZ while they are not legally on a visa.
    Now when I think about it if she will get an offer and then visa then she has to quit at the same day the previous job cause automatically she's not allowed to work for the previous employer leglly is that right? So does that mean she doesn't have to give notice? cause she is not allowed to work legally for another month and that's the notice period.

If she talks to INZ about her plans, it's normally possible for them to manage things so the new visa starts when the old one needs to stop after she has served out her notice.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If she talks to INZ about her plans, it's normally possible for them to manage things so the new visa starts when the old one needs to stop after she has served out her notice.
    Oh I see. Didn't know it can be arranged like that.