Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IELTS required by CO for my partner

Question IELTS required by CO for my partner

Hello everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me.

We have lodged our SMC application on 20 Aug 2016 and CO assigned on 28 Feb 2017 London branch.
    My CO required my partner an IELTS to be able to award 10 points for her qualification, otherwise our points would go down to 130 from 140 as we have claimed initially. However, in our application we have included a certification from her school indicating that the medium of instruction for the whole duration of her course was in English.
    But our CO said although we had provided the proof of her english ability she said she is not convinced that her English ability is similar to a band of 6.5 in IELTS. Fine, I said ok I will booked her an IELTS seat, however, she did not want the booked date of 29 April as she said it is too long and she could not give us that long. I said she needs time to prepare to get a good score and satisfy the 6.5 band requirement. To cut the story short I have rebooked her to 8 April instead.
    My question is, if she could not meet the score of 6.5 in IELTS, does it equates to rejection? Is the previous proof no bearing on her final decision?

Thank you and please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Blackmamba; 15th March 2017 at 09:59 PM.

good luck on the ielts.. writing n listening is kinda complicated

my wife got the letter for the uni as well but we decided to take ielts before lodge ita in june

Thanks moonrider, hopefully she can meet the required points...

Your plan is great, take the IELTS to be sure...goodluck to you as well...

she took the test and pass last year june
    Last edited by moonrider; 16th March 2017 at 12:28 AM.

See http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30542.htm, then look at this. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/41495.htm See SM 5.5.1 d, where you will see that the CO has the right to require IELTS as the final decider, whatever other evidence has been given. So yes, it all depends on the IELTS score.

Hi JandM, thanks for your comment. However, in case my partner could not meet the required grade of 6.5 in the IELTS because of the limited time allowed by our CO, could we request to waived the IELTS and consider our original submission of her proof of english issued by the school? Any possibility to request a waiver? Or not a JSV would be possible? Since I myself as the principal applicant has completed all documents to support my qualifications.

Thank you!

Your application can't proceed without this evidence from your partner if you needed the points from her qualification to get the minimum to have your EOI selected. Once the CO has made the decision to require an IPENZ result, as I said above, that is the final decider, and no, it can't be set aside.

If your application needed her points, and those points can't be given if she doesn't get the required level at IELTS, then the whole application will be rejected, on the grounds that the EOI would not have been selected without them. There is no half measure on this.

There are many options online for preparing to sit the IELTS test. If in doubt, it is probably worth getting some face to face lessons with an experienced teacher in the meantime. IELTS often surprises even native English speakers, because it tests skills in a way that is not instinctive for people who learnt the language by hearing and speaking it, rather than through ESOL lessons.

The matter of the time allowed by your CO to get a result from the test will not be any grounds for appeal. The answer would be that, since your partner claimed to have competency in English last year at the time of application, she would have this competency right now if tested.

nothing you can do except helping your partner to prepare for the ielts ..

tips, more efforts towards to listening and writting module

good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmamba View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me.

We have lodged our SMC application on 20 Aug 2016 and CO assigned on 28 Feb 2017 London branch.
    My CO required my partner an IELTS to be able to award 10 points for her qualification, otherwise our points would go down to 130 from 140 as we have claimed initially. However, in our application we have included a certification from her school indicating that the medium of instruction for the whole duration of her course was in English.
    But our CO said although we had provided the proof of her english ability she said she is not convinced that her English ability is similar to a band of 6.5 in IELTS. Fine, I said ok I will booked her an IELTS seat, however, she did not want the booked date of 29 April as she said it is too long and she could not give us that long. I said she needs time to prepare to get a good score and satisfy the 6.5 band requirement. To cut the story short I have rebooked her to 8 April instead.
    My question is, if she could not meet the score of 6.5 in IELTS, does it equates to rejection? Is the previous proof no bearing on her final decision?

Thank you and please enlighten me.
    hi Blackmamba,
    i think ur partner need to score IELTS 5 to gain the points
    also she can take PTE acadamic
    its easy to score ielts equivalent

Kanossa7, no, his partner has to have IELTS 6.5 average, because he needs the points for her qualification to get up to the minimum for selection. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/30542.htm (If he didn't need the points, then his partner could get by with a 5 average.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast