Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance - Can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by dawn
    But it does mean we'll need insurance as soon as we arrive.
    Actually you dont, its not a legal requirement over here, but if you want it for your own peace of mind straight away then go for it.

Dawn

Yes Sal is right, I forgot to add that.

When I was insuring the bikes, one company all but told me not to bother with insurance.

We could never imagine doing that in a million years.

D x

Quote Originally Posted by jubjub
    Actually you dont, its not a legal requirement over here, but if you want it for your own peace of mind straight away then go for it.
    Oh wow, I didn't know that, scary, so there's people driving round out ther without insurance?? I don't think I'll be one of them, I need peace of mind, imagine hitting another car not having insurance, doesn't bear thinking about.

Far toooo many people driving around without insurance IMHO. Especially 15 year olds in Skylines, Scoobies and Evos - it's the ONE THING I hate about life here - and I mean the one thing... spoils everything and seen far too many close calls and bad hits in Chch. Thankfully not so evident out here in the sticks. On Tues, Tanya and I went to the Halswell Maize Maze (great fun) but had to wait in gravel car park until a pair of little b*****rs, who looked 10, had finished doing laps of it in their 3 litre Toyota. They had no regard for the toddlers, buses of school kids and families walking around the car park, oh no, they had to do their tyre spinny stuff for us all to hear and for us all to inhale their fumes and gravel dust... and don't get me started on the plonker who cut us up at about 100kph (in town) and then sped off to the junction where he caused mayhem by running the red and smacking into a poor womans car and then casually getting out of his car and walking off whilst people looked on in horror...... (RANT OFF)

Insurance wise, we use State. When our car was written off back in Sept we had the full $$ amount in our bank account less than 5 days after the accident. Couldn't fault their service. We now have our house and contents insurance with them too.

For a Scoobie Grand Wagon and a Mini Clubman (1977) it costs just under $500 a year fully comp!!

And there was me thinking it may be a little more civilised in NZ! Seems the boy racer idiots are worldwide.

I just got a quote from state, $400 per year for hubby, they didn't seem to care what the car was!! Works out to around £10 per month a ¼ of the Uk price.

Great info, was speaking to Wendy about this earlier. My only concern is what happens if someone hits you and they have no insurance, what then?

According to state's website, for the policy I was looking at, you are covered if you are hit by an unisured driver. I would check on that before I buy a policy.

State’s Private Motor Vehicle Standard insurance is ideal if you want comprehensive insurance for your private car. It covers:
    • any loss of or damage to your car by accident, theft, fire or natural disaster
    • damage caused to your car by identified uninsured drivers. In these instances you pay no excess and keep your claim-free discount
    • a lifetime guarantee on labour and parts for any repairs to your car undertaken by IAG Quality Repairers
    • access to State Roadside Rescue – our great 24-hour service that comes to your rescue for emergency breakdowns, flat batteries, lock-outs, flat-tyres and empty fuel tanks.
    • access to State's Hire Car Extension - our way of ensuring you can still get around when your car is still unavailable
    • $300 towards replacing keys and locks if you are a Goldpack customer
    • returning your car to your home after it’s been repaired or recovered following theft
    • your transport home by train or bus after your car has been lost or damaged
    • loss of or damage to trailers owned by you up to $600
    • compensation for bodily injury to you caused while driving a car, up to $2,000
    • up to $1,000 in legal expenses if you have to defend a manslaughter charge
    • your legal liability for damage or loss is covered up to $20 million

State's Private Motor Vehicle Third Party, Fire and Theft cover suits people who only need limited cover for their private car but want to be covered for damage they may do to other people’s cars or property.

It covers you for:
    • loss of or damage to your car by fire or theft
    • damage caused to your car by identified uninsured drivers up to $3,000. In these instances you pay no excess and keep your claim-free discount
    • a lifetime guarantee on any repairs to your car undertaken by IAG Quality Repairers .
    • up to $1,000 in legal expenses if you have to defend a manslaughter charge
    • your legal liability for damage or loss, up to $20 million

Last edited by dawn; 13th January 2006 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza
    Great info, was speaking to Wendy about this earlier. My only concern is what happens if someone hits you and they have no insurance, what then?
    thats where ACC comes in I think, a large chunk of the NZ equivalent of road tax goes to it.

http://www.acc.co.nz/wcm001/idcplg?I...GE&nodeId=1494

There was quite a good thread on car insurance a few months back... check here:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ight=insurance

"My only concern is what happens if someone hits you and they have no insurance, what then?"

Medical costs covered by ACC, damage to your car? As they say here "Too bad Bro.......". You can sue them for it, but I don't fancy your chances of ever seeing the money. There is no fund to cover uninsured drivers like in the uk.

it's worth pointing out, that you can't sue anyone in NZ for personal damages. There is universal libability insurance called ACC.

If you don't have insurance, and you hit someone, then they can recover the cost of the damage to their car only from you. Nothing else, if you criple someone in the UK, they can sue your for long term medical, in NZ it's property damage to the car only. This is why insurance in NZ is much cheaper than the UK, and esp the US. No tort law.

You can take out third party insurance, much cheaper. Around one third of drivers on the road have no form of insurance btw.

At the most next year I'll take out third party, this year we took out fully comp without understanding the system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast