Thread: WHV re entry??

Default WHV re entry??

Hello everybody,

This is my first thread, hopefully I'm asking my question at the right place!

My boyfriend and I met in New Zealand 2 years ago whist traveling on a Working Holiday Visa. I stayed 6 months on my WHV and he stayed 9 months.
    I'm from Canada and he is from Scotland.

My question is:
    As we did not stay the full length of our Working Holiday Visa when we were there in 2014-15 is it possible to come back to NZ on this visa?

I read the following information on http://www.newzealand.com/uk/feature...ked-questions/
    "What happens if I leave New Zealand for a while and then come back?
    The Working Holiday visa is a multiple-entry visa. That means your Working Holiday visa is activated when you first arrive, but you’re free to leave New Zealand and return as many times as you like. Any time you spend outside of New Zealand will not be added to the total time your Working Holiday visa is valid for."

Does it mean we could come back to New Zealand on the WHV we were issued in 2014 if we still have some time left on it?

Our main plan is to move to NZ permanently (as we love it so much!). We have done some research and should be able to get enough points to go on the Skilled Migrant Visa route if my boyfriend gets a job offer (I'm a graphic designer and my boyfriend is a Metal Fabricator). The only problem is that my UK visa is running out in August this year and we wouldn't have time to go thought the whole process of the Skilled Migrant Visa before then (we are not really chuffed about paying for an other 2 years visa for the UK neither... as we want to move to NZ eventually)

We were thinking about going on a working visa to be able to move to NZ faster and then apply whilst in NZ for the SMV.
    But, having read that we might be able to re-enter NZ on our Working Holiday Visa, we are now wondering if it would be an option. --> Find a job whilst being in NZ on our remaining WHV and then apply for the Skilled Migrant Visa.

Please let me know if this is too confusing and I'll try to make sense of everything!
    Hope to hear from somebody soon!

Thanks a lot
    Catherine and Rory

If your WHV is valid for - say - 12 months, that means the 12 month period starts running when you enter NZ, and doesn't stop and start. If you enter on 1st January one year, that means it will only stay valid till 1st January the following year. If you leave NZ before then, you could re-enter and use some more of the time, but ONLY if it's before 1st January the following year, because then it will run out whether you were in the country to use it or not.

So that was a nice idea you had, but it won't work - sorry.

You could go as visitors, declaring that your purpose is "look, see and decide" as well as vacation. Then it is completely above board that you are job-hunting. You can't start work till you are granted a work visa, but if one of you gets a skilled job offer, you could apply for Essential Skills https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa (or this if the employer is accredited https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...list-work-visa) and the partner a partner-sponsored temporary work visa https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...k-visa-holders if you have evidence of living together (which you can do all at once, linking the two with a covering letter). That would give you time to gather the evidence and apply for Residence under SMC.

Thanks a lot JandM for the quick reply,

We will probably try to do as you suggested then: visitor visa --> Essential Skills work visa --> SMC
    I'll have a look at the links.

Thanks again