Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overseas job hunting

Default overseas job hunting

Hello everyone, I have a quick question regarding job hunting from outside NZ. Do you think that since the applicants is not in the NZ soil, make more companies reluctant to go to the next step(interview for example)?. I'm begining to worry. What if I go there so when I apply for job at least they/companies know that I'm in the same place. However, if I go there and then I can't get a job?? hmmm that would be painfull....

FYI, my field is IT industry and Graphic Designs industry.
    Anybody knows/experience my dilema?
    This is what make me stress out about going to NZ. We all know that it's better to have a job offer before u leave to NZ. However, since we're not in NZ soil...it's almost impossible to get a job (even phone interview). What do you all think?

Hi xantus,

I'm going through a simular experience. I've only been applying for jobs for around 6 weeks so far, but it seems as though if you aren't already in NZ with PR or a work permit then there isn't much hope.
    I'm in the telecomms / IT field, and have seen plenty of jobs advertised that fit my capabilities and experience, but have the same worries as you about going there and then not being able to get a job.

Regards

Andy

Hi Xanctus,

What I would suggest is doing a quick search on the web to find some good job agencies in the city which you would like to emigrate to in NZ and send your CV to them letting them know when you will be coming to NZ. If you get a response - the next step is to get on the phone to them and show your commitment and interest - get them working for you. You'll need to set a date to go over so that you can have interviews and I understand it is a worry but it can be done - we were there last week & came away with a job by doing the same.

If you can get some dialogues going with some agencies you'll be ahead of the game and may be able to land some interviews when you are over.

Here's a government website I've just found for you that gives IT recruitment agencies:

http://www.kiwicareers.govt.nz/lists...cy/vaclist.htm

Hopefully there'll be an agency in there who can help you. If not then there's some really good agencies out there if you have a quick search on ask or lycos.

Good luck! :hopeso

I can certainly relate. I think employers are going to look to people overseas as a last resort, it is just harder for them.

I had an email exchange with a recruiter who agreed, you need to have at least the legal right to work in NZ or be there to get consideration. My plan is to wait until I have the legal right to work then I will start applying again. If that does not work out we still plan on moving out and we will find something then. It is a bit risky but I think as long as the economy is still doing OK the risk is manageble.

Sarah,
    Thank's so much for providing us the link of that job agencies. I would definately try out some of them. By the way, I actually did send a resume to one of the agent a month ago, and they sent me email once. Asking about when are planning to come, and how did I find them and so forth. Maybe I should call them; show some interests and show some commitment just like u said.

Anyway, to clg and adam...we should not give up trying eh? there is always hope just like what Aragorn said in the Lord of The Rings :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As you will see from my latest post on "Moorf & Woz the early days" Woz was told, by a recruitment agent that he met up with yesterday, to apply DIRECT to companies as most aren't using agencies as they don't want to pay the fees!!!!

For the IT industry you definitely need to be here in NZ... other professions may do telephone interviews (teaching / medical) but this is not the norm for IT industries.

Moorf,
    Thx for the reply...yeah I guess it's better to be there in person for IT fields. However, what I fear is that even though we were there it won't be easy to find a job either. No?

Hey guys,

Just one question, how does New Zealand job agencies work?I mean how would they take their commissions?Would it be out of our salaries?Or would the corresponding company pay these agencies their commision.

Do we end up paying some 40% of our salary for a period of time like some of the agencies that I have found here in my country? :eek

Appreciate all info!

Cheers

hi ivar,
    some agencies specially if your outside nz will ask for a $2K nz in advance and will try to look for a suitable job for you as what you have mentioned in your cv. if they found an employer who is willing to give you a job permit then you have to pay the agency an extra $3k nz, for short a total cost of $5k nz. if they can't find you an employer then they will return haft of the advance payment you paid them.

if you're planning to go to nz my tips is better be prepared with tons of certification in IT field like MCSE, cisco and other stuff. agencies prioritize applicants with the certification. i don't have an idea if the agency will charge you for their services.

Hmmm I don't know what agencies you guys are using but any reputable, recruitment agency will get their fees from the company they are recruiting for.. NOT you!

I'd be highly suspicious if being asked for a fee ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast