Thread: Driving from Auckland To Wellington with 2 kids

Red face Driving from Auckland To Wellington with 2 kids

We are planning for a road trip to wellington by next month with 2 kids. Any places on the way to cover which is interesting for kids and us well as.

I'm thinking to cover Huka falls and Wakapapa on the way to Wellington, then Napier on the way back to Auckland. We will be staying in Wellington for 2 days.

Pls advice.

Thanks.

I wouldn't miss Rotorua - all sorts of stuff for kids to do there eg Luge and yes, going up the gondola in Whakapapa is fun. In Wellington Te Papa which is huge is good for kids and adults (Bug Exhibition on now) and you can easily walk the waterfront or to Oriental Bay beach from there if fine, the tour in Weta Workshop in Miramar is good if your kids are a little older, you can take the Ferry to Somes Island or Days Bay if the weather is good, there are tours of Parliament if your kids are older, Cuba Street is worth a look although not of much interest to kids (lots of nice places to eat though).

Yes we can cover Rotorua on the way back to Auckland. Thanks for the info, and our kids are 5 and 2. Hows the cable car in Wellington ? is it good for kids ? worth it ?

I don't know that I would bother with kids five and two, although there is a McDonalds nearby on Lambton Quay at the start.

We did this trip with mom over Christmas, and stopped in Whanganui and Lake Taupo (And Tauranga, but that was because we have family there, so from there we looped down to Rotorua and then over to Auckland).

Whanganui is boring (<.<) but Lake Taupo has a fun weekend market, lots of stuff for the kids (clowns, balloons, etc). I'll second Te Papa. The Hell's Gate Geyser near Rotorua is nice but the littles might get board.

The Huka Prawn Park near Taupo is hilarious and great for kids. There's also a neat little apiary/honey store there but it's quite expensive (and even the stuff for kids mostly just encourages you to buy fancy honey - free mead tasting though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
    We did this trip with mom over Christmas, and stopped in Whanganui and Lake Taupo (And Tauranga, but that was because we have family there, so from there we looped down to Rotorua and then over to Auckland).

Whanganui is boring (<.<) but Lake Taupo has a fun weekend market, lots of stuff for the kids (clowns, balloons, etc). I'll second Te Papa. The Hell's Gate Geyser near Rotorua is nice but the littles might get board.

The Huka Prawn Park near Taupo is hilarious and great for kids. There's also a neat little apiary/honey store there but it's quite expensive (and even the stuff for kids mostly just encourages you to buy fancy honey - free mead tasting though!)
    Thanks for sharing your experience, we have to plan well before starting our trip, your inputs are really useful to add on our list... Thanks again.

This is our first long drive experience, so excited.
    Last edited by Roger_J; 22nd March 2017 at 08:29 AM.

We did this drive last year with similar aged children. We stopped at Waitomo, Whanganui and Wellington. Kids loved Waitomo. Didn't find Whanganui boring at all with kids, great riverside market on Saturday mornings, Kowhai Park playground is amazing for kids, walking around and feeding ducks at Virginia Lake, and a great free museum. Wellington we did Te Papa and just enjoy the waterside. If we had had an extra day would have done the ferry to Eastbourne. Recommend downloading some kids audio books to listen to in the car:-)

Quote Originally Posted by kittysmum View Post
    We did this drive last year with similar aged children. We stopped at Waitomo, Whanganui and Wellington. Kids loved Waitomo. Didn't find Whanganui boring at all with kids, great riverside market on Saturday mornings, Kowhai Park playground is amazing for kids, walking around and feeding ducks at Virginia Lake, and a great free museum. Wellington we did Te Papa and just enjoy the waterside. If we had had an extra day would have done the ferry to Eastbourne. Recommend downloading some kids audio books to listen to in the car:-)
    Yeah, its bit hard to keep kids entertained in the car for long drives, so thinking to put some good animation movies in the tablet and keep them busy... kids audio books also a good idea, will think about it. My son is 2 years old and he loves driving, he just sits and look out, but my daughter she doesn't like long drives :-) .

Since its not a winter season, we are thinking to take the route Auck - Rotorua (hot pools and parks) - Wellington and back to Auck will cover Napier. Topau we need to plan a separate trip to go in the winter time.

I agree Rotorua..they may like Luge (doubled up with you), playground by lake, hot pools in town etc, Levin(nearer Wellington) has an amazing playground on the main drag through town. Kids would enjoy cable car. Long drive took us 8 from Cambridge to Wellington..take lots of breaks. Say over in Rotorua perhaps?