Thread: question about area of absolute skill shortage

Question question about area of absolute skill shortage

My EOI status is changed from Selected back to the Pool since my claim points of "Recognised qualification in area of absolute skill shortage" is rejected in EOI-Selected status.

As a result, my "Recognised work experience" and "Work experience in area of absolute skill shortage" are also rejected since they also require an area of absolute skill shortage.

The officer reply me that "You do not appear to have any qualification which is an exact match to one of the specified qualifications in LTSSL in order to qualify for bonus points in an area of absolute skills shortage".

I have a Master Degree in Information Systems Management. I believe it should be eligible to claim points in an area of absolute skills shortage refer to the LTSSL. I have done PAR, the result is level 9, and it is mentioned in my EOI. I have already submitted IQA with Skill shortage form submitted and it is in processing.

Base on my understanding, the IQA result should determine that is my qualification equivalent to NZ qualification listed in "Long Term Skill Shortage List Requirements" and "Bonus point requirements". May I know is this correct?

Even though my qualification is not an exact match in the LTSSL column 3&4, I can still claim the points if my IQA result determined my qualification is equivalent to it, may I know is this correct?

I am so confused and worry about my situation not eligible to claim 160 points, I am grateful if anyone can provide me related information, thank you for any help!

When, in the LTSSL list, a definite requirement is given for equivalence to a certain degree or one among certain degrees, with a Level 7 or 8, then that is not superseded by having a higher level degree. The reason for the Level 7 requirement seems to be as follows. In some countries, it's possible to gain a higher degree where some small aspect of a subject would be studied in great depth, without first having a bachelor degree which would prove that the candidate has the breadth and grounding from the basics of the subject upwards. Such a higher degree would be given a Level 8 or 9, but would not PROVE (as a Level 7 would) that the candidate has broad general understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    When, in the LTSSL list, a definite requirement is given for equivalence to a certain degree or one among certain degrees, with a Level 7 or 8, then that is not superseded by having a higher level degree. The reason for the Level 7 requirement seems to be as follows. In some countries, it's possible to gain a higher degree where some small aspect of a subject would be studied in great depth, without first having a bachelor degree which would prove that the candidate has the breadth and grounding from the basics of the subject upwards. Such a higher degree would be given a Level 8 or 9, but would not PROVE (as a Level 7 would) that the candidate has broad general understanding.
    Thank you for your reply JandM. So you mean that my claim points failed, the reason is I used my Master degree to claim skill shortage instead of Bachelor degree?

My PAR only evaluated my Master Degree, and now I have submitted IQA, that should evaluate both my Bachelor and Master Degree. I believe my Bachelor should equivalent to Level 7 and also apply to LTSSL and in area of absolute skill shortage.

So for my case, should I submit EOI again and mention in Working Experience section (only text box area can input message) that I believe my IQA result should eligible for LTSSL and in area of absolute skill shortage? Or should I wait for my IQA result first that should receive around one month later?

You can't do anything until you have your IQA, and until you see that it shows what you need it to - a specific outcome saying your qualification is comparable to one of the NZ qualifications listed under LTSSL for your career. At that point, you need to notify INZ of the new outcome, saying that you believe this gives you back the points you need for your EOI to be selected.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You can't do anything until you have your IQA, and until you see that it shows what you need it to - a specific outcome saying your qualification is comparable to one of the NZ qualifications listed under LTSSL for your career. At that point, you need to notify INZ of the new outcome, saying that you believe this gives you back the points you need for your EOI to be selected.
    Thank you JandM!