Thread: Urgent Phd Student's Financial Undertaking Not Genuine (Reply required within 1 week)

Default Urgent Phd Student's Financial Undertaking Not Genuine (Reply required within 1 week)

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any guidance on how to reply/justify this. We have just applied for a student visa extension.

I am overseas PhD student in NZ (since almost 2 years) and my father has been taking the Financial undertaking for me since the beginning of my student visa application.

My wife is here with me supporting me. She has full time permanent work and we never actually needed to ask to my father for money transfer although he there ready waiting if we need any money. Therefore, he has no yet trasnferred any money.

Because of this immigration has written back saying that finacial undertaker is not genuine as below.

Do they mean I have to justify my financial status? If so I can say my wife is supporting me and show her payslips.
    Or do they mean I have to justify ny fathers Financial undertaking? In that case, he is genuine but we just never needed his funds till yet. We have asked him to write a letter as well.

How do we justify all this. Why do they give us visa with work rights when they need the financial undertaker to be the one who provides funds every month for our maintanence. That defeats the purpose of my wifes and my work visa. I don't work. Only 5 hours tutoring at Uni per week.

It should not be a rule that my financial undertaker is the one who supports us. He should be there just in case we need his financial support.

Please advice.

I would appreciate all guidance I can get. My study is agoing well. It would be a disaster if we have to go back just because of these hard rules.

Yours Sincerely,

"Funds
    Immigration Instructions U3.20 state that we must be satisfied that you have
    sufficient funds available of at least $1,250 per month (or $15,000 per year)
    available for maintenance and accommodation throughout your stay in New
    Zealand. Immigration Instructions U3.20.20(b) specifically states that immigration officers
    must be satisfied that the funds are from a genuine source
    and genuinely available to the applicant. When determining whether a student
    has sufficient funds for maintenance, the period of time that the funds have been
    held by the student is taken into consideration.

You have provided a Financial Undertaking for a Student form as evidence of
    sufficient funds for the duration of your stay in New Zealand. It is noted that the
    guarantor, (my fathers name), provided a financial undertaking with your
    previous student visa applications.

A third party can continue to provide a financial undertaking of students’
    subsequent applications, if they continue to genuinely hold sufficient funds, and
    they are genuinely intending to meet their financial obligations. These
    obligations include undertaking the responsibility for the student for maintenance
    at the rate of $1250 per month.

You have not provided any evidence that your financial guarantor has met their
    financial obligations, therefore we are not currently satisfied that they are a bona
    fide guarantor. Due to this you have may not have provided satisfactory evidence
    that you have sufficient funds available to maintain yourself throughout
    the period of your stay in New Zealand. As such you may not meet Immigration
    Instruction U3.20 and therefore may not meet the conditions for the grant of a
    student visa."

It sounds as though your situation has appeared to be a bit of a mystery to someone at INZ, so they have sent out this query so you can help them understand.

Do they mean I have to justify my financial status? If so I can say my wife is supporting me and show her payslips.
    Or do they mean I have to justify ny fathers Financial undertaking? In that case, he is genuine but we just never needed his funds till yet. We have asked him to write a letter as well.
    This is definitely the thing to do next.