Thread: Refused Entry

Default Refused Entry

I was refused entry into New Zealand on Monday 20th, under section 15 1 f

This is because I was refused entry to the USA in 2008, and was given a 5 year exclusion period due to over staying my last USA visa.
    Even though it was 9 years ago in another country, I thought it would only effect me when applying to travel to the USA again, and not any other country.
    Back then, I thought that a visa was like a parking ticket or something, and next time I enter, I just had to pay a fine for overstaying. I never knew how serious these things were.
    I have matured a lot since then. Married, family, step-daughter, brilliant job, house together, nice car, lots of community projects we do together, etc.
    I am from Northern Ireland, so I am a UK citizen and also hold an Irish Passport.

The immigration officer in Auckland said that as I booked through a travel agent, that they should of asked me those questions to see if I needed a visa.

I now have to apply for a Special Direction and Visa to enter. My wife stayed there with our friends, while I am now home to try to get this sorted.
    But I am finding it hard to get any information from the immigration website.

The officer in Auckland was very nice, and told me to contact the London office when I get home. But it took ages to find the London office on the website. Once I did, I got a phone number, rang when they opened, and after waiting in a call queue, they told me that I need to ring the Immigration office in Wellington.
    So after being on hold for ages, my phone gone silent, as the call used up all my money!

I decided then to email, but only got the email for the London office. No other email addresses for getting a Special Direction.

I have no idea how long it will take.
    (the officer did say that hopefully I could come back and join my wife for the rest of the holidays, but is unsure how long the process is.)
    If I get the visa and my wife is already back home, how long does it last? Do I have to apply for a new one if I don't use it?
    Do I need to keep getting this Special Direction and visa every visit?
    What documents do I need to provide to apply?
    If I fail to get it, is there an number of times I have to keep applying?

I did go to my travel agents, and the manager said that in 30 years of being in the industry, he has never heard of being denied from one country from nearly a decade ago, could effect another country allowing someone in.

I understand the law is the law, but when I could prove I was only visiting and no way wanting to stay or do anything criminal, this still wasn't enough. After the interview, the officer said that the only way I could of got in was for something like my grandmother lives there and is dying.

Hopefully someone here can help point me in the right direction.

The officials have gone with the letter of the law here. A5.40 Applicants ineligible for a temporary entry class visa or entry permission http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/46509.htm refers you on to this page. A5.20 b vi has this.
    Under section 15, the following people are not eligible for a visa or entry permission to enter or be in New Zealand:

Any person who... has, at any time, been removed, excluded, or deported from another country.
    This makes it look as though you will indeed have to apply specially before any planned visit.

I don't think there is any quick way to get in touch with any INZ office. You'll have to do the necessary to speak to someone on the phone. (Just recently, someone pointed out there is an option to ask to be called back, when you have been waiting a certain length of time. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/contact)

I don't remember anyone posting on the forum about having a Special Direction, so I can't point you to anyone else's experience to answer your other questions.

Thank you JandM,
    Yes the officials can only follow the law, but they were very nice people, and sorry they couldn't let me in. After I was refused entry, they gave me a room to have a few hours sleep and a shower before leaving.
    I will let you know if I get the Special Direction.
    Thanks again

This is shocking...

Rs81. How did the immigration even know that you were deported from the US? They have a shared system of black listed people?