Thread: Staying in NZ after graduation?

Default Staying in NZ after graduation?

Hello. I'm currently holding a dependent child student visa and expire date is 18/07
    I'm going to graduate high school this year. Am I allowed to stay in NZ after graduation? If so, how long can I stay?

It will depend partly on the visa status at the time of the person whose dependent you are, and partly on what you hope to do in NZ at the time. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ndent-children

If you won't still be dependent, you would need to qualify for a visa in your own right.

Thanks for the kind reply.
    My father is who I am currently depend on and He holds skilled migrant work visa.

He says as long as he have job here and I'm financially depend on him, I should be able to stay here until my visa expires.
    But I don't think that make sense because my cause to stay in NZ is to study and I finished my education then I got no cause to stay in NZ any longer.

I considered changing my visa into Dependent child visitor visa but I heard I can't stay in NZ once I turn into 20 years old. (I'm turning into 20 november this year.)
    Is it possible to stay in NZ after graduation without changing my visa into others?

I'm sorry - it's still not clear what visa your father has. There isn't a skilled migrant work visa. Does he perhaps have Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, or does he have an Essential Skills work visa? The possibilities for you may be different depending on exactly what his visa is.