Thread: Will cats be taken from their owners in NZ?

Default Will cats be taken from their owners in NZ?

I read on the net you can only have three cats in NZ, and none if you live near a national park. I wonder if that only means a person cant buy more cats than he already has, or if a person who had more cats before the new law will have his pets taken from him.

What is the procedure in case a person who lives near a national park already had a cat when the new law passed, or someone somewhere else has four cats already from before the new law? Will he keep the cats, have to pay a fine in order to keep them, or have them taken away?

And what about cats who don't leave their fenced in yard? Because birds and lizards can get in fenced yards easily. Will a person who keeps his cats in a fenced in yard have them taken away as well?

It really doesnt make sense to take cats from their owner to a shelter or the streets, because the new law is made to protect wildlife, and if the cats walk around in the shelter's yard or left on the streets, they can attack birds and lizards. So I wonder if the cats will be put to sleep.

I read on the net you can only have three cats in NZ
    Link, please?

I believe there are some districts that have by-laws limiting the number of pets, or requiring the owner to ask permission for more than a set number. There isn't a country-wide regulation.

As JandM says, some areas have local rules, but there's certainly no national "3 cat" limit.
    https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/re...s/owning-a-cat

Some local councils have rules (policies or by-laws) or recommendations for controlling cats. These usually aim to protect our native birdlife, prevent health risks or avoid upsetting your neighbours. These rules may include restrictions on how many cats you can own and whether you can let them out at night or require you to microchip and de-sex your cat.

For more information about the rules in your area, visit ‘Recreation’ or your local council’s website.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Link, please?
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-36865776

Okay, so it says...
    New Zealanders hoping to move into a new housing estate north of the city of Wellington will have to agree to an unusual condition of purchase - no pet cats.
    This is ONE small area where a restriction has been imposed as part of the conditions of purchase of a new house. Nowhere in that article does it say there is a new national law.