Thread: Outgoing Cutoms Exam from USA: Is this a scam?

Default Outgoing Cutoms Exam from USA: Is this a scam?

My container shipper dropped me a very unwelcome notice saying that US Customs had randomly selected my container for export inspection and that I would have the honor of paying for it. The bill came to a bit over $1400 US, and my shipper was quite nasty about demanding payment within three days, credit cards not allowed. This feels like getting caught in a random stop and frisk and then being required to pay for police time and overnight accommodation in jail, when you were doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Has anyone else had a similar experience. It seems very dodgy to me. The US Constitution is pretty clear about arbitrary search and seizure. I wonder if it's a scam on the part of my shippers, and whether I have other things to worry about as well,

In your place, I would check with US customs if this is part of their normal procedure, and if so, what they charge for it.

I know that in the UK and in NZ, customs and immigration officials have much wider powers than the police - it can be quite surprising, what they are entitled to do.

Wierd! It does sound like a scam. I've shipped household goods in containers 5 times (don't ask!)...and I have never heard of such a thing as this additional charge. Please keep us posted on what you find out.