Thread: Visitor Visa or Partner of Work Visa VIsitor Visa - your experience?

Default Visitor Visa or Partner of Work Visa VIsitor Visa - your experience?

Long short: my partner and I started relationship in July 2016. I was there on a Working Holiday Visa, he was sponsored work visa. We lived together in NZ until middle of October. After that I've visited him in his country and he has visited me. Although long distance, relationship is on-going and genuine.

He will work in New Zealand again this year from middle of June until middle of October. I will want to be in New Zealand with him on a visitor visa, as I won't be able to have a work visa. I am from Visa Waiver country but as it would be more than 3 months to be in NZ; then just that is not enough. I have been in touch with immigration and they have told me my possibilities. Both have pro's and con's and would just want to know what has been you experience with either of:

Partner of Work Visa Visitor
    Pros: won't have to hide my intentions, would be more logical for myself as I am his partner and I am visiting him
    Cons: likelyhood of getting it is slim (as pointed out by Immigration Officer: "If you are not able to show evidence of living together in New Zealand, Immigration New Zealand will not normally recognize your partnership". Only proof we have is some pictures and letters from friends. We do have tons of other evidence like pictures from trips together, phone calls, txt messages etc), I'm afraid if I'm denied of that, I also cant apply for the Visitor Visa.

Visitor Visa
    Pros: should not have problems getting it, process is faster (as I could do it online) and it does not include other person
    Cons: I'm worried it might cause problem if I state that I'll come there to be with my boyfriend who will work there. I would still travel and be your typical tourist, but mentioning my boyfriend would maybe raise some flags. If I'd know that the fact I'd be with my boyfriend wouldn't cause a problem, I'd choose Visitor Visa myself.

I would have sufficient funds on my bank account to support myself during my stay there, i would have sufficient funds to buy outward ticket, I honestly do not intend to work or apply for work.

So, as you have had more experience probably, then what would you suggest?

It will be very tricky.

You haven't been being together for more than 1 year. Even though you have been being together for more than 1 year, you don't have enough evidence to support yourselves. It means you almost cannot get the partnership work visa.
    On the other hand, if you want to apply for visitor visa, you cannot have any intention to long stay in New Zealand. You must have a strong connection with your home country. Or your visitor visa will be easy to be declined.

It was same situation with us, my wife applied for visitor visa (Visa form INZ1017) TWICE. They refused for the reason that she is not intending to stay temporarily.

Now we are married and she have applied for Visitor visa BUT this application is based on our relationship/marriage (Applied with inz 1198 visa form). Because that is what they (INZ call center) recommended.

Good luck to you guys

Same situation with us.

Fortunately, the evidence we provided was enough to convince INZ of our relationship being genuine and stable. Keep collecting as much evidence as possible and submit it all together. Our body of proof was about 4kg of documents.

You can apply for a individual visitor but as pointed out by harryj it might be declined if they realise you are here to meet your partner. If you lie - it might affect future applications as well. The best thing to do would be to call INZ and ask what would suit best. Be clear about your situation and they should be able to clear up your doubts.

Thank you for your answers! I submitted yesterday the application for General Visitor Visa and now I keep checking back the online system, although I know that is not being processed that fast. I'm just really nervous.

I also was in touch with the immigration over the phone (honestly, NZ immigration people are so nice!) and they also said that General Visitor Visa is more likely to get, so I should go with that.

I did state also in my cover letter (it ended up being 3 pages and I submitted 12 extra .pdf documents with my application) that I have no intention to stay longer than middle of October. Work commitments in home, partner leaving New Zealand etc.

I just wish that I could be as straight as: "After October my partner won't be in New Zealand. There will be no snow in New Zealand to ski on. But northern hemisphere will have my partner and snow, so don't worry ya guys, I'm gonna leave!"

Quote Originally Posted by harryj View Post
    It was same situation with us, my wife applied for visitor visa (Visa form INZ1017) TWICE. They refused for the reason that she is not intending to stay temporarily.

Now we are married and she have applied for Visitor visa BUT this application is based on our relationship/marriage (Applied with inz 1198 visa form). Because that is what they (INZ call center) recommended.

Good luck to you guys
    Curious, why not get a residency visa? Not planning on staying long term?

That went fast! I submitted my application 31 Mar 2017 08:52a.m. NZ time and got the letter from immigration today, on 3rd of April. The visa has been approved!

great that youve got the visitor visa. Important that once you arrive in NZ, you continue to build evidence of living together. Nothing to stop you applying for partnership based visa after you've been together for a few months, , which could be granted for up to 12 months from your arrival in the fist instance. Your previous WHV stay might mean you need to provide medical.
    A visa could then be issued, multiple entry, for 12 months from your arrival, which mean you'd have a visa for next year?

Because I yet have to get my residency approved and we do not meet partnership requirements...

Quote Originally Posted by avow View Post
    Curious, why not get a residency visa? Not planning on staying long term?

Same happen to me. Coudnt prove long distance relationship with my partner. We were away for 9 months. She broke up with me after that. Problem solved on its own.