Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are my options for obtaining residency?

Question What are my options for obtaining residency?

Hi all. I'm planning on doing backpacking in New Zealand on a Working Holiday Visa. I want to backpack for a year and then start the process to becoming a resident. However, obtaining residency seems difficult for someone my age who doesn't have wealthy parents or a degree.

Even though I don't have a degree, I have a lot of potential and ultimately want to become an entrepreneur. I want to invent a new food product in New Zealand, but also sell my designs (I'm an artist), and organic fruits and vegetables at local farmer's markets. More than anything in life, I want to live this lifestyle.

Unfortunately, entrepreneur visas require a lot of money up front. I think you have to invest 100,000 NZD to even obtain one. If you want to acquire residency as an entrepreneur, you must make a smacking 500,000 NZD in roughly 2 years to be given your residency visa. That seems absurd. I don't have that kind of money to invest, and my idea of "small business" is a lot different than what these entrepreneur visas call for. Really, I just want to set up a stall at the farmer's market and offer my services. This does not call for a 100,000 NZD investment, nor will it make 500,000 NZD in 2 years. I'm a photographer, an artist and future travel blogger. This stuff doesn't require big money, and I can still afford a minimalist, independent life off of it.

I'm at a loss. I'm 19 and there's nothing for me in the US. I don't have a close relationship with any of my family members, and I can't see a future in this fast-paced, money-hungry and violent country. No part of this country is beautiful to me because it's littered with corruption, and it's driving me crazy. I don't feel safe here. The odds of me living a successful and happy life are greater in New Zealand than they are here, in the cold, dead cities. I need to be out there in the pastures, forests, mountains, whatever it may be.

I have one plan in mind, but I don't know if it can exactly fall through. If I were to develop somebody's land for them (aka, grow fruits & vegetables on their land and sell them/give the land owner a fair share of the profit), could I obtain residency? Maybe as a skilled worker? It would be like me working for the land owner under their business (sort of), so I'm wondering if I can be sponsored by them in a legitimate way?

Does anybody have experience with this? I should probably speak to a professional because it's a very specific scenario, but what are your thoughts and suggestions? Thank you!

This reply isn't going to be what you want to read. I'm sorry.

Getting a visa of any kind to work in NZ is getting more and more difficult at the moment. Partly for internal political reasons, they are cutting down the number of migrants accepted, so the criteria are becoming more demanding. For a would-be migrant, it is all about showing yourself and your qualifications and experience in a way that fits into the INZ regulations. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas There aren't any easy ways. NZ only want to admit foreigners who have niche skills that are in short supply among their own citizens - they have plenty of people who can do unskilled jobs that only require minimal training. You are saying yourself that you have no qualifications, and at 19, you haven't had time to build up a record of work experience that could stand in place of them, or the finances required to set yourself up as an entrepreneur. I'm afraid it doesn't look hopeful for you to be able to proceed in the short term. You may need to plan for using the next few years to acquire some of what INZ demands.

Hi Sunfish,

I can tell you already what JandM said is absolutely right!

I am more than happy to share my personal experience. I am originally from Europe, but did my full time studies (4 years) over in the U.S. During my semester breaks I used to work back in Europe (as the U.S unlike NZ does not permit any intl student to work).

After my graduation, I had the same idea that you are having. I packed my bags and went to NZ with a one year working holiday visa. My only condition was that I could not take up permanent employment, but in theory I could have worked for one employer for the entire time up to one year. I had a really tough time finding a office job, because first ond foremost: Kiwis are very hesitant towards applicants on Working Holiday Visa (for obvious reasons) and second of all, you do not have "Local" experience. I was very lucky to find one company offering me a job until my working holiday visa ended. They told me straight up that of I am good, I can achieve a promotion within the time and get promoted to a job that is currently on their list of skilled occupations. To make a long story short: Gaining residence in NZ is getting harder and harder. I applied last year where the min. points threshold for residence under the Skilled Migrant Category was 100 points (including an offer of skilled employment).

Without that offer and without a degree, I would not have been able to apply. Today the min threshold is 160 points, so if I would apply today I would struggle for sure.

New Zealand invites applicants from overseas that bring skills to our economy to contribute positive for the long run. I understand that this is not what you want to hear, but it is better to know straight away that gaining residence under the current instructions is very hard without a degree and work experience.

I took the risk and it worked out for me. NZ is still a beautiful place to come and gain experience on a working-holiday visa. But transferring it into residence is a whole different level.

I see what you mean. However, I can be classified as a skilled migrant worker if I grow and sell vegetables. Agriculture jobs are in demand right now, and vegetable gardening is explicitly mentioned in the skill shortage list. It also doesn't require any specific experience/degree because any one can do it. So, if I were to develop a plot of land and dedicate it to vegetable and fruit farming (and successfully sell my crops), wouldn't that help me extend my stay or apply for residency in the future? I would be working for myself.

Also, what do you think of this article? https://youngadventuress.com/2015/08...land-visa.html

She was granted a talent visa for running a travel blog which promoted New Zealand, which is one of many things I want to do. New Zealand is her home now. Are you saying that this is completely unattainable? I looked at the Talent Visa requirements, and there isn't much there. It grants you 30 months in NZ, and after you've been blogging/whatever-it-is-you-do for 24 months, you can apply to become a resident. There are no financial requirements you have to meet. You don't even have to invest money. It doesn't sound impossible to me, especially in the digital age we live in.

I would assume that most people wanting to move to New Zealand aren't anywhere close to interested in taking the path I want to. Like I said, I want to work for myself. I think most people who move there decide to work for other people instead of online or independently, which seems much more difficult to me due to the competition you have to face just to be given employment.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but what I'm interested in doing isn't exactly comparable to somebody who sought employment through a company and then tried to get residency. Or maybe I just have the wrong idea here.
    Last edited by Sunfish; 27th March 2017 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
    I see what you mean. However, I can be classified as a skilled migrant worker if I grow and sell vegetables. Agriculture jobs are in demand right now, and vegetable gardening is explicitly mentioned in the skill shortage list. It also doesn't require any specific experience/degree because any one can do it. So, if I were to develop a plot of land and dedicate it to vegetable and fruit farming (and successfully sell my crops), wouldn't that help me extend my stay or apply for residency in the future?

Also, what do you think of this article? https://youngadventuress.com/2015/08...land-visa.html

She was granted a talent visa for running a travel blog which promoted New Zealand, which is one of many things I want to do. New Zealand is her home now. Are you saying that this is completely unattainable?
    I can't comment on your specific case but if there's one thing that INZ requires in particular (from every applicant) - it is a paper trail. I would imagine that employment would be far easier to "prove" than self-employment. For every application that I have submitted, there were tax records, employer verification, reference letters, etc.

Anyone can "say" that they've been doing this or that. How does INZ know you're not just lying?

However, as said on every post in this forum - every case is different. Better to go through all their requirements step by step and collect evidence as required. Or at least work towards obtaining the evidence for the future. If you have a doubt - just give them a call and they will be happy to assist. They're one of the friendliest call centres I've had to deal with.

Just sharing my thoughts, please correct me if I am wrong.

If you plan to work for yourself, then it leads you to entrepreneur visas which require a lot of money to invest. But if you want to apply for a skilled work visa, then you are supposed to work for some businesses already running in NZ, because the company needs to do some labour market search and shows that they can't find any Local worker. However, I don't have any experience for the talent visa, can't comment on that.

But still, as Sebastian91 said, NZ is a beautiful place worth to come.

I'm looking at the INZ Skill Shortage List List Checker.

Vegetable grower is on it. If you already had employment as a vegetable grower, you could be counted as a skilled migrant for the purposes of applying for residence under the Skilled Migrant Scheme. http://skillshortages.immigration.go...getable-grower HOWEVER, click on the box for List of Skilled Occupations and you find this.
    Requirements to claim points for skilled employment (Category A)

A relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. The qualification must correspond to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)
    OR
    The relevant work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification
    OR
    The relevant requirements specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for your occupation (if your occupation is included in the LTSSL)
    OR
    Five years of relevant work experience.
    And ANZSCO states this. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....2+Crop+Farmers
    Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
    So for NZ immigration, it just isn't true to say that, "It also doesn't require any specific experience/degree because any one can do it." You HAVE to have qualifications or proven experience.

Then about the Talent (Arts, Culture, Sport) work visa. You say, "I looked at the Talent Visa requirements, and there isn't much there." So here's the page.
    This visa is for people who have exceptional talent in a field of art, sport or culture and are looking for a pathway to residence in New Zealand. You’ll need the support of a New Zealand organisation that’s recognised for its excellence in your field of talent, and a sponsor, to apply. After being actively engaged in your field in New Zealand for 2 years, you may be eligible for residence.
    Look at the Criteria tab near the bottom.
    Exceptional talent
    You must provide evidence:

you have an international reputation in your field of art, sport or culture
    you’re still prominent in your field of art, sport or culture
    your presence in New Zealand will enhance New Zealand’s achievements and/or participation in your field of art, sport or culture.

Evidence may include:

qualifications
    awards
    your membership of professional associations
    letters of support or recommendation
    anything else you believe demonstrates your talent.
    Support by a New Zealand Organisation.
    A representative from a New Zealand organisation of national repute must complete Section B of the 'Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) Sponsorship Form' as evidence they support your presence in New Zealand.
    Sponsorship
    Your sponsor must complete and sign a 'Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) Sponsorship Form' declaring that they will meet the sponsorship requirements detailed in the form, including providing you with accommodation and financial support.
    That is actually a very considerable requirement.

Gd luck sunfish. Why not accumulate a few years of experience in US before heading over?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
    I think most people who move there decide to work for other people instead of online or independently...
    ...because that is what is required, to get a visa.

I'm at a loss. I'm 19 and there's nothing for me in the US. I don't have a close relationship with any of my family members, and I can't see a future in this fast-paced, money-hungry and violent country. No part of this country is beautiful to me because it's littered with corruption, and it's driving me crazy. I don't feel safe here. The odds of me living a successful and happy life are greater in New Zealand than they are here, in the cold, dead cities. I need to be out there in the pastures, forests, mountains, whatever it may be.
    NZ isn't all Lord of the Rings and hobbits. We have the same problems as any other country. NZ isn't all "pastures, forests, mountains" just as the US isn't all "cold, dead cities". Coming for a year on WHV and seeing it for yourself is a good idea, but as others have said, if you decide then that you want residency, you will need to meet INZ's strict requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I'm looking at the INZ Skill Shortage List List Checker.

Vegetable grower is on it. If you already had employment as a vegetable grower, you could be counted as a skilled migrant for the purposes of applying for residence under the Skilled Migrant Scheme. http://skillshortages.immigration.go...getable-grower HOWEVER, click on the box for List of Skilled Occupations and you find this.

And ANZSCO states this. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....2+Crop+Farmers

So for NZ immigration, it just isn't true to say that, "It also doesn't require any specific experience/degree because any one can do it." You HAVE to have qualifications or proven experience.

Then about the Talent (Arts, Culture, Sport) work visa. You say, "I looked at the Talent Visa requirements, and there isn't much there." So here's the page. Look at the Criteria tab near the bottom.

That is actually a very considerable requirement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast