Thread: Student Visa Inquiry!

Default Student Visa Inquiry!

Hi, I am new here and would be very grateful if someone can help me out on the following matter.

I am a student with a Quantity Surveying background. The first time I applied for visa I applied in Business Management (Project Management specialization) as my father owns a Housing Construction Company and I wanted to join him with both Business and Construction knowledge. But my visa got refused due to a funding problem. My agent apparently messed my profile by not including some evident documents. My C/O advised to submit a fresh application if I have more evident documents. Now I changed my agent and am ready to reapply. This time I want to apply for Civil Engineering (It includes Engineering Management/ Project Management modules as well). Since my visa got a refusal once, will it be a problem if I change my course to Civil Engineering second time around? Should I stick to my first SOP and go for a Construction Management programme?

Thank You

Each application is treated on its merits. If you qualify for an offer on the degree programme you want to choose now, then you have the perfect right to go for it.

Thank you JandM. Yes I meet the academic requirements and English requirements as well with overall 8.0 in IELTS. But my new agent's advice is if we totally change subject now, it will contradict with my previous intention. My intention is still the same. Business Management or Civil Engineering, either way I can still support my father. Will immigration have doubts on my application?

My previous agent misguided me (or they simply didn't know their business, I wish I had done all this research the first time I applied *sigh*) telling my BTEC HND qualification is equal to a level 6 in NZQA and I should go for a level 7 as immigration always expects us to go for a advanced level than what we hold now. And I got an offer for a level 7 from the Private Institute. Having no other option and not being able to apply for a level 6, I accepted it. But my qualification is a level 5 as it says on my certificate. So this time I am applying for a level 6 in a Polytechnic. Should I include the above information in my SOP regarding the course change?

Thank You
    Last edited by Malz; 28th March 2017 at 11:16 PM.

I don't think getting the unexpected Level 5 would necessarily rule you out for taking up the previous offer. That would be something to discuss with the college, if you still wanted to try to do the original course. In educational matters, if the institution judges that the student is capable, that goes a long way to convince INZ.

Got it! Assesing the educational capability is more in the hand of the institution than INZ. If they say I can do the course, then INZ will accept it. Thanks JandM