Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National security check for residency visa application

Hi, I'm also applying for my residency and was requested to submit a national security form for both my husband and I. Do you know exactly what they are checking? How long did your application land up taking? We have both never been involved in politic's or anything like that and both have up to date police clearance certificates so i'm confused as to what they are looking for as we provided our full education and work history in the EOI.

NSC is based on what INZ deem as "high risk" countries - the list of which countries these are is "restricted" immigration instructions, in that it's not publicly available as INZ deems that making the details publicly available would put the integrity of those particular instructions at risk. They are generally countries which have had political turmoil in the past/require mandatory military service/have experienced armed conflict of some sort or have other significant historical events.

INZ requests the response to the NSC from an applicant's home country's 'security service', and the efficiency of that security service will determine how fast the response comes back. Unfortunately it's mostly out of INZ's hands and fully in the hands of the home country's security service responsible for answering INZ's request.

However, the SMC best practice manual does say that, once an NSC request has been outstanding for 6 months, the immigration officer responsible for the relevant application has the ability to follow up with the team in Wellington that is responsible for actioning NSC's and ask that it be prioritised (or make a case for the result to be waived as it's taking too long and the security service to which the request has been sent is unlikely to reply).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12