Thread: Joint bank account - how important is it for Partner based visa?

Default Joint bank account - how important is it for Partner based visa?

Hi guys, need your help again. My wife wants to apply for "partner of a worker work visa" soon. We are married since 6 months but don't have joint bank account yet. Friends in NZ whose kids have gone through something similar have suggested, that we should open a joint bank account anyways immediately. What do you think? Would this be taken into account if it was just opened? Or would it even be negative indication?

What we have right now is some supporting transaction in my PayPal account that purchases for her are paid by me and some health insurance rates of hers that I have paid from my account. I pay rent and most of the stuff related to that like power bills etc., because she moved in with me 2 years ago but I had everything in place already.

Would you support the idea of opening up a joint bank account right now?

ps: we are not in NZ yet

Quote Originally Posted by yesno View Post
    Hi guys, need your help again. My wife wants to apply for "partner of a worker work visa" soon. We are married since 6 months but don't have joint bank account yet. Friends in NZ whose kids have gone through something similar have suggested, that we should open a joint bank account anyways immediately. What do you think? Would this be taken into account if it was just opened? Or would it even be negative indication?

What we have right now is some supporting transaction in my PayPal account that purchases for her are paid by me and some health insurance rates of hers that I have paid from my account. I pay rent and most of the stuff related to that like power bills etc., because she moved in with me 2 years ago but I had everything in place already.

Would you support the idea of opening up a joint bank account right now?

ps: we are not in NZ yet
    you want to have all support documents that you can... if having a join account helps why not! Take into account that being married doesn't help... all couples need to show same evidence married or not!

At this stage (that you have your visa approved), where the next step for her is the visa... a join account is not much help... you need to have bills with her name and yours that goes to the same address, pictures, letters, rent agreement with both of your names, properties, tickets, health insurance...

We do not have a joint bank account, as South Africa does not do them anymore. WE just got our residency. We gave them as much of the other options as we could.

Thanks guys. So, we have just converted my checking account into a joint account. Hopefully, it will help.