Thread: Need visa advice....trying to bring family to NZ

Default Need visa advice....trying to bring family to NZ

Hi all,
    I am 27 and my wife is 25, we have a 3 1/2 year old daughter. My brother in law lives in NZ (Chch) and is a resident.
    We wish to join him.
    Unfortunately, when I was 17, I was involved (not directly) in a fatal car crash that resulted me doing time in a young offenders institute for 3 months. This was 9 years ago now, since then I have started a family, bought a house and now want to join my brother in law in NZ.

What Visa am I able to come on, and what implications does my conviction have?

I am a builder by trade and have all the necessary qualifications to prove. My wife is a social worker.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, as trying to call from the UK to NZ is proving unsuccessful.

Many thanks in advance

You can apply for any visa for which you meet the regulations, e.g. a temporary work visa, or Residence under SMC. When you have to answer the questions about Character, you need to declare this past conviction. Almost certainly, you will be told you have to apply for a Character Waiver. http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/35058.htm This means that you have to write a letter describing whatever the incident is in detail, admitting full responsibility for your part in it, and showing how, since then, your life has turned around and you would not now do the same kind of thing again. You need to submit this with character references from people of good standing in your community who know you personally, who testify to your now being a useful member of society.