Thread: Temporary Partner Visa taking longer then expected, go back on tourist visa and await the decision?

Default Temporary Partner Visa taking longer then expected, go back on tourist visa and await the decision?

Hi there,
    Me and my partner have been waiting for our approval for our temporary partner visa for longer then 25 working days now.
    I am currently in Belgium as he is in New Zealand. I've requested my original passport back because it may take another month they said to process.
    My question is: I want to fly back to NZ for a month on a tourist visa just to be with my partner and take a little vacation together (no intention to work) and fly back home after if our visa has not been approved by then. BUT what if it gets approved while I am in NZ am I still required to fly out of the country? or does my tourist visa automatically end and am I on the temporary partner visa? (as I am from a visa waiver country I'm not required to apply for a tourist visa I just need my outbound ticket and enough sufficient funds)

Thanks

You may very likely have difficulty upon arrival if you travel before your work visa has come through. Immigration at the airport will see as soon as they scan your passport that you have applied for a work visa but that it has not yet been approved. This can be interpreted as trying to get round the system. If you enter as a visitor (including visa waiver), you are accepted into NZ as being someone who will stay for a finite amount of time and then leave to go back to a home, life and job elsewhere. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...tity/bona-fide A visitor's visa (including visa waiver) is not just a catch-all for a person who doesn't happen to have any other sort of visa. You are stating that you will leave after a temporary stay. But by your work visa application, you have already stated that you DON'T intend to leave. INZ have been known to count this as fraud and refuse entry, which can cause difficulties for all future visa applications (not just for NZ).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You may very likely have difficulty upon arrival if you travel before your work visa has come through. Immigration at the airport will see as soon as they scan your passport that you have applied for a work visa but that it has not yet been approved. This can be interpreted as trying to get round the system. If you enter as a visitor (including visa waiver), you are accepted into NZ as being someone who will stay for a finite amount of time and then leave to go back to a home, life and job elsewhere. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...tity/bona-fide A visitor's visa (including visa waiver) is not just a catch-all for a person who doesn't happen to have any other sort of visa. You are stating that you will leave after a temporary stay. But by your work visa application, you have already stated that you DON'T intend to leave. INZ have been known to count this as fraud and refuse entry, which can cause difficulties for all future visa applications (not just for NZ).

Wow thank you so much for your answer, this is the last thing I want to do and risk everything we've already been waiting for. Just have to be a little more patient then