Thread: Tourist visa vs Parents and Grandparents visa

Default Tourist visa vs Parents and Grandparents visa

Hi,

Both me and my wife are resident visa holders, and are looking for options for our parents to visit us here in NZ. I see both Tourist visa and Parents and Grandparents visa as options, and we don't see them staying with us longer than 6 months at one stretch. I have taken a look at my options and Parents and Grandparents visa seems more flexible as it would be valid for 18 months. Any other experience / viewpoint on this?

Isn't it valid for 3 years?

From what other posters have said, there are more formalities to be gone through to get a parent/grandparent visa than for an ordinary visitor's visa. For instance, the parents have to have a medical. For one family, this turned out to be a real mistake, because the mother was found to have a previously unsuspected medical condition, which meant that INZ wouldn't grant the parent/grandparent visa, and THEN they wouldn't allow her to have an ordinary visitor's visa instead either, although that wouldn't usually have required a medical - having come to know about her illness, they couldn't then ignore it, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    From what other posters have said, there are more formalities to be gone through to get a parent/grandparent visa than for an ordinary visitor's visa. For instance, the parents have to have a medical. For one family, this turned out to be a real mistake, because the mother was found to have a previously unsuspected medical condition, which meant that INZ wouldn't grant the parent/grandparent visa, and THEN they wouldn't allow her to have an ordinary visitor's visa instead either, although that wouldn't usually have required a medical - having come to know about her illness, they couldn't then ignore it, apparently.
    Not to mention the cost of said medical. How many regular visas would your parents normally need over a 3 year period? Calculate the cost for that and compare it with the application fee for a 3-year parent visa + medical. The latter might not be worth it.

Thanks, these are excellent points to consider. Appreciate all the responses.

My mother came here on visitor visa valid for 2 months then we applied another 6 month visa and it got approved both were multipal..one suggection get them travel insurnance it will help applucation alot with older people INZ worry about their medical issues and they have to keep in mind tax payers money

Hi,

My mother is currently on a multiple visitors visa, I'd like to extend her stay for another 3 months. How do I do this? Which form do I fill out? What additional documents or things does she need to provide and do? Thanks in adv for advise.

Exactly what visa is your mother on? Do you mean a multiple entry visitor's visa, or is it one of the parent/grandparent ones?

Hi do you mean, you applied for extension to 6 months while your mother was in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Imu112 View Post
    My mother came here on visitor visa valid for 2 months then we applied another 6 month visa and it got approved both were multipal..one suggection get them travel insurnance it will help applucation alot with older people INZ worry about their medical issues and they have to keep in mind tax payers money