Thread: Getting short-term contract during career break

Default Getting short-term contract during career break

Hello! I am planning to be in NZ for 6 months from November, spending a few weeks at the start and end exploring the country with my family. In the middle we plan to find somewhere to rent in the Hamilton area (where we have friends living). I would like advice on getting work on a 1-3 month contract. I am a chartered mechanical engineer and have been working in a small automation/robotics company in the UK - I'm thinking that based on my experience I could add significant value setting up a fit-for-purpose quality system, health and safety policy, CE marking, or other compliance-related service for an SME in NZ. Or maybe transition to 3D CAD or CAD training, or writing technical manuals.
    Questions: 1. Do you think anyone would be interested? Especially if I was willing to accept a results-based contract (no win no fee!)
    2. What is likely to be most attractive to NZ companies: contract my services through a UK company, or some other method? (What are the NZ tax implications etc of giving a contract to a UK company?)
    Many thanks for your help.
    Geoff

If you are coming on a tourist visa (including visiting from a visa waiver country) you can't work. Do you have other eligibility to work here?
    Last edited by RedVee; 9th April 2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Clarity

Hi RedVee, Thanks - that is helpful to know. As far as I am aware I do not have any other visa eligibility. So if a UK company wins a contract in NZ and a UK national comes to NZ to do the work (for 1-3 months) what type of visa would be required? Based on my visits to Canada and the US on business they've been satisfied with me showing them a copy of the contract - but to be honest I haven't paid attention to what type of visa they've given me (if any). Would it be similar in NZ - and could I change my visa status from a tourist type to working type if my company wins a contract in NZ during our stay?
    Thanks, Geoff

In the case of a UK company SENDING a senior member of their workforce, or them getting a contract and you being the man on the spot, the appropriate visa would probably be this. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...vent-work-visa But this visa wouldn't be granted for the other scenario you have imagined, where you independently convince a local employer to take you as an individual on for a short term to show what you can do. That would have to fit https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ills-work-visa or https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...residence-visa to have any hope of success.

I think my best chance will probably be to contact some companies before I arrive and arrange to meet, then visit soon after arriving (on a tourist visa). If I can secure a contract (1-3 month fixed term) I would then apply for a work visa on the basis of having a profession on the 'long term skills shortage' list - mechanical engineering (NZD400), or possibly on the 'immediate skills shortage' list - mechanical draftsperson (NZD300). I would expect it to take around a month to get the visa, then I could start work.