Thread: Visitor Visa

Default Visitor Visa

Hello All!

Lovely to be on here

I recently had the pleasure of being in NZ for 3 years. Unfortunately I overstayed for five months whilst on a Work Visa - I was sponsored - essentially due to me overlooking the departure date, and all immigration emails advising the expiry were sent to junk email as they were automatic updates. Very much my own fault, which I am aware of.

Once I realized my mistake after a thorough email clean out I contacted immigration via phone and they advised me to leave the country ASAP, which I did. I was panicking and did not do any research to see that there are plenty of people who have been assisted to remain in the country on alternate visas while everything is being sorted out.

I have now been back in my home country of Canada for 6 months and planning a trip which includes going back to NZ for a month to see friends, and have applied and been denied for a visitor visa due to not being bona fide. I'm seeking immigration help for this, but wondering if someone has gone through the same thing and how it's turned out? I do have a job for when I come back, sufficient funds, and I have stayed in Australia on two legal visas before and have just been granted another tourist visa for it for my trip.

Thank you!

INZ don't HAVE to grant anyone a visa. They have reason to be suspicious of you, based on your fairly recent overstay. You're saying that you're an upright person who made a mistake, but from their side, you fit the first part of the profile of many people who fail to renew a work visa, leave the country rather than try to regularize their situation (so maybe there's some dark reason why they wouldn't be able to), then shortly afterwards try to come back as a visitor, intending to disappear into the pool of illegal foreign workers. Don't be surprised if they refuse to be convinced by your evidence of ties elsewhere. It's quite likely you would have better luck in getting permission to go back on holiday when more time has passed since your quick departure.

Hello JandM,

Thank you for your reply! Completely understandable in regards to the view of INZ, and I'm hoping that with the help of my immigration lawyer and the fact that I've been very upfront from the beginning with INZ via email with my situation will work in my favor. Thanks again!

Good luck.