Thread: Will our Dog be a problem?

Default Will our Dog be a problem?

Hello everyone. We will be landing in NZ in September and we're thinking about getting a campervan for the first month or so to allow easy travel between job interviews and such like. Are there any companies that will allow dogs? If not, what do you think the best alternative would be? Any thoughts welcome, thanks.

You'll need to make sure that the campsites you want to stay in allow dogs, some do, not all by far. I know of at least 4 in the NI from experience. Think the AA website may allow you to search based on pet-friendly status?

No idea whether the main camper rental companies allow dogs, but if they do all say no you could look at https://www.shareacamper.co.nz/camper/new-zealand/ - people hiring out their own campers.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for the info. I'd never heard of shareacamper. I'll have a look.

If there's anyone else out there with tips, please post them.

Doc.govt.nz has a list of dog acceptable areas. Some places like the Marlborough Sounds require a permit. Petscancometoo.co.nz and petsallowed.co.nz have a bit of help. Your best bet is to call ahead, even places that accept dogs, and double check. Also, check with the various districts' council sites to see where dogs are permitted in public areas.

Campground with dog is pretty doable away from bigger cities. Expect on leash only regulations. Requires some checking around. Renting a camper with a dog could be a problem. If you purchase a decent used camper van in September, your timing will be right to resell it just before peak tourist season.