Thread: Skilled migrant expression of interest without job, possible or not if under 160 points?

Default Skilled migrant expression of interest without job, possible or not if under 160 points?

Hi there,
    i began to fill the EOI and realised that the minimum is now 160 points.
    I have a master degree with 10 years of experience in software development, which is on the shortage list. I am 36 year old. That leads me to 140 points. I don t have a job offer in New Zealand.
    Should I give it a go or my chances are near to 0?
    thanks for your answer

Your EOI has no chance at all of being selected with less than 160 points, as the rules stand at the moment. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...-resident-visa
    Things to note

We use a points-based system to assess expressions of interest.
    Currently, we are only selecting EOIs with 160 points or above.
    If you get a job offer - probably easiest to do by travelling to NZ and meeting employers face to face, even those who aren't actually advertising for staff at the time - then the extra points will meet you can reach the minimum readily.

Hi Raphael,

Or if you have a partner it may give you the extra 20 points you need.
    But your partner has to hold a qualification that is equivalent to a Level 7 to 10 on the New Zealand Qualification Framework (bachelors degree, bachelors degree with Honours, Masters Degree, Doctorate)
    A partner's recognised qualification only qualifies for bonus points if:
    - the partner is included in the application; and
    - the partner meets the English language requirements for principal applicants; and
    - an immigration officer is satisfied that the principal applicant and their partner have been living together for 12 months or more in a partnership that is genuine and stable

The key to successful migration is employment, so maybe for the moment it might be best to focus on a job offer. With a job offer you'd move much more easily through the SMC process.

Maybe a "look see decide" visit first?