Thread: Effects of salary based skill recognition

Default Effects of salary based skill recognition

Hi there.

I'm interested to see what people on here think of the new salary based, skill recognition changes to the SMC and Essential Skills Visa.

I myself am quite worried for my future applications.

Currently I am in NZ training to become an Arborist with a level 4 qualification. After speaking to people in the industry in NZ and observing job adverts. I know there is a shortage for Skilled Arborist's. However it seems to be undervalued in its remuneration. With most arborist's earning under the new threshold for a job being recognised as Skilled.

Arboriculture is classed as a level 3 skill however it seems the average salary will not align with the new requirements.

I am very interested to see how Immigration will approach applications from arborists looking to work here from abroad.

If anyone on here has any opinions on this I would be very keen to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by olliebodd View Post
    Hi there.

I'm interested to see what people on here think of the new salary based, skill recognition changes to the SMC and Essential Skills Visa.

I myself am quite worried for my future applications.

Currently I am in NZ training to become an Arborist with a level 4 qualification. After speaking to people in the industry in NZ and observing job adverts. I know there is a shortage for Skilled Arborist's. However it seems to be undervalued in its remuneration. With most arborist's earning under the new threshold for a job being recognised as Skilled.

Arboriculture is classed as a level 3 skill however it seems the average salary will not align with the new requirements.

I am very interested to see how Immigration will approach applications from arborists looking to work here from abroad.

If anyone on here has any opinions on this I would be very keen to hear them.
    I have no idea about that specific profession.

I face similar issues in my profession as well. A lot of skilled jobs in NZ in fact are underpaid for the worker and overpriced for the consumer.

The salary threshold is but ONE way to judge if the job is skilled or not. Kind of like judging a fish on its ability to climb a tree. It feels like it is designed specifically to discourage beginners and students who come here to "study" when they really just want an easy pathway to residence. Even then, they still have 3 years on temporary visas to be able to find a job that pays them well.

By re-aligning the points system they seem to have balanced the scales a little bit. With the new system in place, I would imagine that by the time you collect those 160 points - they expect you to have a salary to show for your hard work. Some professions might allow you to get there more easily than others, which only means that they don't really want beginners from the other fields. IMO this makes sense for things like hospitality & tourism but WHY they would apply this as a blanket to construction, healthcare and other core occupations - I have no idea.

Its going to make infrastructure, housing & healthcare more expensive for those who need it and force a lot of people (even locals) to get frustrated and migrate to better prospects.

Small businesses will be forced to pass the cost down to the customer, which will reduce the customers and force them out of business - reducing the competition for the big businesses and allowing them to charge even more.

That said, it will all churn a little bit and then stabilize again. Few years down the road there will be shortages of other kinds of skills and the government will change their rules again. Its a cycle - nothing anyone can do about it but go with it.