Thread: Huntly - is it really that bad

Default Huntly - is it really that bad

I've searched and only seen years old posts on this and would love an up to date honest opinion.
    My husband is working in Hamilton and at least short term to get a NZ job on my CV I may have to work in south Auckland.
    We were looking round Huntly and it seemed to have rough areas on both sides of town but also seemed to have ok areas with nicely kept properties nice vehicles and no high fences.
    We spoke to a few people and the consensus was choose carefully and it's an ok place to live.
    But everyone at my husbands work and two interviewers have told me it's a no go zone. But don't really have many reasons. Is it really that bad? Is it an outdated point of view? Snobbery? Or is it honestly rough as.
    We have lived on council estates in the uk. Not particularly rough ones and in the better end each time but places that wouldn't be top of your list. We don't see that it can be much worse than that - if we picked the right house in the right area. But would love some input with as much honesty as possible. Thanks.

Huntly does have a bad reputation, but yes, as you suggest, probably a lot of that is snobbery from people who just drive through. This article seems balanced and although I usually would say "never read the comments", the comments do show a variety of attitudes to Huntly. http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-Parnell-Maybe

I live in Waikato and would never live in Huntley. Big ugly power station, main highway going through it and not the best area for several reasons. There are nice properties up in the surrounding areas/hills and also lots of houses going up around Pokeno. Good luck.

Bear in mind that all things are relative. Somewhere considered 'rough' by NZ standards is nothing like UK 'rough'.

All I think of Huntley is an ugly busy road next to railway lines and an equally ugly power station looming over the surroundings.