Thread: Suburbs west of Christchurch

Smile Suburbs west of Christchurch

Hi all,

We are considering relocation to somewhere near Christchurch. Wonder what are the "good towns" west of Christchurch? I have heard about Rolleston, Prebbleton, Lincoln, Leeston, Springston, halswell etc...... Am seeking more information here so we can do some planning. Looking at renting initially, may consider purchase later if things work out well. Criteria includes but not limited to rental $, condition of houses, amenities such as supermarkets, medical and internet, lifestyle, weather, social clubs, "earthequake safer" etc.... Not worried about schools...Welcome any good advice or infor from members..

Wigram/Halswell areas are good in terms of proximity to the city/shops, condition of houses (esp the newer subdivisions like wigram skies, aidanfield etc, although rental can be dearer. If you dont mind an extra 20 or so minutes of travel time from the city, go for rolleston, where rental can be slightly cheaper. Prebbleton and lincoln are really good areas too. Leeston and springston are quite far around 40-45mins from the city. Hope this helps

Just curious why you want to live in a town west of ChCh? I lived in ChCh for 5 years. Loved it. Unless you need a rural property (maybe you plan on having horses), or you want to be near the agricultural uni (college) in Lincoln...I would recommend living in a neighborhood in Christchurch, instead of a small town west of it. Especially since you mentioned "amenities such as supermarkets, medical and internet, lifestyle, weather, social clubs,".

I was living in a rental in ILAM (a neighborhood west of the CBD and Hagley Park) near the University of Canterbury when the first big earthquake happened in Sept. 2010. It was a 7.1 mag quake and our neighborhood was on solid ground. No damage at all to our house.

There is no good reason to live in Chch, it is a mess, a giant building site with half the roads closed or dug up and the other half jammed with traffic. You would think that seven years after the first quakes something would have improved but nothing seems to have. A chap who has just come to where I work moving from a big city in Brazil said he was surprised at how bad the traffic is in Chch !

On that basis, west of Chch is a good choice because you can get away from the city or what is left of it.

Rolleston is a huge, rather charmless sprawl of new houses. Leeston and Lincoln well worth a look as are the others mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    There is no good reason to live in Chch, it is a mess, a giant building site with half the roads closed or dug up and the other half jammed with traffic. You would think that seven years after the first quakes something would have improved but nothing seems to have. A chap who has just come to where I work moving from a big city in Brazil said he was surprised at how bad the traffic is in Chch !

On that basis, west of Chch is a good choice because you can get away from the city or what is left of it.

Rolleston is a huge, rather charmless sprawl of new houses. Leeston and Lincoln well worth a look as are the others mentioned

Rental is cheaper as one moves west away from ChCh??

Quote Originally Posted by amiller View Post
    Just curious why you want to live in a town west of ChCh? I lived in ChCh for 5 years. Loved it. Unless you need a rural property (maybe you plan on having horses), or you want to be near the agricultural uni (college) in Lincoln...I would recommend living in a neighborhood in Christchurch, instead of a small town west of it. Especially since you mentioned "amenities such as supermarkets, medical and internet, lifestyle, weather, social clubs,".

I was living in a rental in ILAM (a neighborhood west of the CBD and Hagley Park) near the University of Canterbury when the first big earthquake happened in Sept. 2010. It was a 7.1 mag quake and our neighborhood was on solid ground. No damage at all to our house.
    Looking at studying at Lincoln while other half works....Also, rent could be cheaper than in Chch??

Ah...I see. I think all the areas west of ChCh are very sweet. My daughter attended Lincoln Uni and enjoyed it.

Hi, It's me again... Can anybody tells me if Halswell is a good (safe) suburb to live in? Are there any streets in Halswell, riccarton or upper riccarton that I should avoid?

I don't know the details of individual streets but nothing much to worry about in those suburbs. Much of Halswell consists of new housing developments. The rougher areas are to the south and east of the city but remember it's all relative; there isn't anywhere in Christchurch where I would feel particularly at risk.