Thread: Shipping a car from the UK

Default Shipping a car from the UK

Hello all,

We are in the process of moving from the UK to Auckland. Is it worth shipping our car over? It's a 3 year old 7 seater car. My partner's company is paying for a 40ft container to ship our house hold goods over. Thanks

Here are some old threads which may help with thoughts and experience. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...ar+from+the+UK

If someone else is paying YES! Relatively easy - you just need to check the newest regulations regarding compliance and length of time of ownership. Get it professionally cleaned beforehand - they don't want to find bits of grass seeds etc in the vents. And pay attention to the chassis, they get fussy about rust.

Thank you! Will do that

I second the yes. We did the same,40ft container paid for meant we could bring our loved BMW. Get an export level valet, they steam clean underneath etc and don't use Pickfords they leave spiders in their containers which cost you money on arrival. A RHD car that age should be compliant, which you can check online with the AA in NZ, but you will still need it be checked, regged and wofed once here which is also referred to as 'compliance ' sometimes. Oh and you can't drive it until all of this is done. Cost a few hundred $. NB you can't sell the car for 2 years, if you do you'll pay import tax.

Absolutely yes if someone else if paying for the shipping! I brought mine over as it was just less than three years as it was a Ford and I'd had it from new. Only downside (not huge) is that the speedo was miles per hour in big numbers, and KM per hour in much smaller numbers. As speed here is in KMH you need to pay close attention. I got a speeding ticket in my first month for doing 70MPH on the motorway - where the speed limit here is 100 KMH

PS - you can sell on within two years, they charge the import tax on a sliding scale, for example after a year it would halve.

Think my on the road costs were just over $500 including getting it from the port to the certification place, first registration, wof (MOT), etc