Thread: Areas in Nelson

Default Areas in Nelson

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are relocating to Nelson (from Queensland), and are trying to work out which areas are best for living.

Ideally, we like a bit of space around us, but we're a little restricted at the moment because I am unable to drive due to an injury. He will be based at Nelson Airport, so being relatively close to that would be handy. I'm just not sure which areas would be best for safety, easy walking distance to shops/cafes/etc. We're not too fussed whether we're closer to the beach/rural, so either would be lovely.

Are there any areas to avoid more than others??

Thanks!

I think the general advice would be to avoid around the Hospital, Toi Toi, and Victory Square.
    Nelson is very small. You can walk and bike most places.
    There are a lot of hills. That can make it hard to walk and make the sun very shortlived in winter.
    Tahunanui, Enner Glynn, and Stoke are closest to airport with bike paths that go into the "city" or into Richmond. Bike paths also go all the way to Kaiteriteri with minimal hills and one ferry ride.
    I quite like Tahunanui but it is under the flight path.

Hope that gives you a place to start.

Thank you so much! Being near the airport/under the flight path is somewhat comforting for both of us. He's a pilot and I've been working in aviation for a couple of years now. We almost don't hear it!

Thanks for the suggestions

Nice to meet you, socialcasualty! My ears always perk up with any mention of Nelson...one day...

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Nice to meet you, socialcasualty! My ears always perk up with any mention of Nelson...one day...
    Yes, I'm pretty excited about it! I've never been, but certainly ready for a bit of a change! nice to meet you too, Juniper!

Not sure if you'll see the post but how did the move go? Where did you end up. We are doing the Queensland to Nelson move next year. Cheers!

Socialcasualty hasn't been on the forum since May 2017, so may not see your post.

That's a shame. Would have been nice to have heard how the move went. Cheers.