Thread: Accounting for living together period

Default Accounting for living together period

Hi all,

As we all know that applying for SMC is a long process that spans over 6 months on an average. So, my partner and I have been living together for 6 months now. If my partner would submit an EOI now (With me on the application), then how will our living together period be assessed? Is it only until the time we send in the EOI (6 months) or until the time the CO looks at the application (if we get an ITA)—which might be almost 12 months by then?

My point is what if 12 months are not fully over yet but will be so in due course—by the time the application lands in the hands of a CO. Will INZ consider the date of EOI submission or be open to see it from the point they assess our application?

Thank you.

Help from JandM and all the helpful knowledgable people out here will be really appreciated!

I feel what you feel but WHY THE RUSH?

You can't include your partner on an application until you HAVE the twelve months' evidence that is the requirement.

The application is a legal document, by submitting which you are warranting that everything on it is true. If you claim anything in advance of the fact, then it ISN'T yet true. INZ aren't allowed to take notice of anything before it's happened, because despite people's sincere intentions, plans sometimes don't work out. 'Yes, I'll have 10 years' work experience at the end of the month,' but next morning the boss comes in and says he's very sorry but the company has gone bankrupt and you're all out of work right now. 'Yes, I'll have finished my research degree for those extra points by the time anyone looks at my application,' then there's some accident and you end up in hospital for months and can't submit the thesis after all.

Theoretically speaking. What if you are those one in thousand, whos application gets picked up the next day?

Any how co are the judges, there are documentation officers who do initial screening. Though co don't get assigned, unfortunately in immigration office most documentation officers are under paid staff (mostly immigrants). So all the pressure of inz will be on these documentation officers. So u can bet if it fails initial lodgement requirement, the poor case officer, who have to do so much priority visas to process cab dump your file.

All this is all my hypothesis. There is no evidential research behind this.

Regards
    Frustrated, exploited applicant

Quote Originally Posted by param912003 View Post
    Hi all,

As we all know that applying for SMC is a long process that spans over 6 months on an average. So, my partner and I have been living together for 6 months now. If my partner would submit an EOI now (With me on the application), then how will our living together period be assessed? Is it only until the time we send in the EOI (6 months) or until the time the CO looks at the application (if we get an ITA)—which might be almost 12 months by then?

My point is what if 12 months are not fully over yet but will be so in due course—by the time the application lands in the hands of a CO. Will INZ consider the date of EOI submission or be open to see it from the point they assess our application?

Thank you.

Help from JandM and all the helpful knowledgable people out here will be really appreciated!
    I think you can still include your partner, the decision could be deferred until you meet 12 months living together. http://kb.immigration.govt.nz/item/17162
    However, this instruction will be changed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by larrykiwi View Post
    I think you can still include your partner, the decision could be deferred until you meet 12 months living together. http://kb.immigration.govt.nz/item/17162
    However, this instruction will be changed soon.
    yes the instruction is about to change, (I think on Monday), which will no longer allow for deferral of decision where living together requirements are not met at time of application?

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies. I think the takeaway is to make sure that 12 months of living together are completed at the time of sending an EOI and the upcoming changes will be in sync with this thought. I hope I understood all this correctly.