Thread: CO asking for my co-workers contact details

Default CO asking for my co-workers contact details

I had a phone conversation with my CO few days ago and he is asking contact details of my colleagues. I refused to provide and stated that they have got nothing to do with my application. Now he randomly picked our companies clients and sending them emails and verifying my employment. Is that normal?

My owner is very offended with my CO's act.

INZ have extremely wide powers - wider even than the police. They have the right to interview anyone on any matter, if they judge that is the best way to find out the facts about any case. There's no point in getting offended about the national authorities doing what they have to do. You have applied to them for a visa, and they are going to investigate your situation.

It sounds as though your CO is trying to get testimony, more than that of you and your employer, to back up your statement of what you do in your job. It may be that if he doesn't get evidence to support you, all he could do would be to decline your application. So actually, you were wrong in thinking that your colleagues could have nothing to do with your application - they might just have been the very thing that let the CO tick this box and get you your visa. The same goes for the clients.

Just want to share my experience with you here even I am on the way to get residence visa via SMC.

My CO asked me to provide contact persons who is current working in both my previous and current companies to verify my work experience. I have been worked 4 companies since graduated. So I had to ask my previous managers / boss / someone who work in HR department for verification. It's a bit difficult to me as I don't want to let other people know I planed to move to NZ at the moment (especially my manager in current company). But I still have to do it. This is the only way I can do to convince the CO.

Quote Originally Posted by jacked View Post
    I had a phone conversation with my CO few days ago and he is asking contact details of my colleagues. I refused to provide and stated that they have got nothing to do with my application. Now he randomly picked our companies clients and sending them emails and verifying my employment. Is that normal?

My owner is very offended with my CO's act.
    JandM is right.
    You have to abide with what your CO asks from you otherwise he will just suspect that you are concealing information prejudicial to your application. Don't be afraid to give him your co-workers contact details as that has not to be the case if you are not hiding something.
    Good luck!