Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 months Living together = eligible to apply for Residence under Partnership.

Default 12 months Living together = eligible to apply for Residence under Partnership.

Hello,

Anyone have links to old threads re: 12 months living together for Residence under Partnership?

I first came here to NZ via the Visitor Visa under Partnership for 5 months. Wondering if this 5 months under the (Visitor Visa Partnership) can be counted/added to the 12 months requirement of Living together to be eligible to apply for Residence under Partnership?

The NZI website states 'Living together' does not mean occupying other separate homes (something along those lines) however on the 5 months I first came I stayed with my NZ citizen Partner the full 5 months (can't say we were officially living together as I was only here on a Visitor Visa- Partnership so of cause when visa expired I would have needed to return back overseas to other home to stay. Until my next visa application was approved (never liked the risk of staying on interim Visa to wait for outcome for next visa application) hence why always returned back overseas to wait.

The original five months CAN count, as long as you can supply of evidence of how you kept in touch and maintained your partnership while you were away. The 12 months' proof needs to be 12 months running up to the time of the application, without any gaps which could be interpreted by INZ as a breakdown in the relationship.

I don't quite understand what you mean about any risk of waiting on an interim visa - that is what it's FOR, to keep people legal. The actual risk in this situation is that INZ could think that the fact you left was because the two of you didn't want to be together any more.

If you put in the application for a partner-sponsored residence visa. Don't forget to keep collecting evidence all the time the application is in, because INZ routinely ask for more evidence just before the visa is issued, to make sure they're not giving it to someone whose relationship has broken down.

Thanks JandM

When we applied for Work visa(Partnership) NZI advised if the Work Visa(Partnership) had not completed processing by the time the Visitor Visa (Partnership) expired I would be put on an (Interim) however for whatever reason if the work visa is declined my status automatically changes to 'unlawful' which affects my status with NZI. I assumed if this happened I would get leeway to leave if required. CO advised (yes if declined automatically the status changes to 'unlawful'. Based on this me & my partner never try to assume & be too over confident we will get approved incase we don't for whatever reason NZI might think to do so then the impact on future applications are affected by the 'unlawful' status. So never wanted to risk it.

But yes def have proof of our contact/comms while apart. Just wanted to make sure I could add my 5 months here on Visitor Visa (Partnership) to 12 months requirement for Residence(Partnership)

Thank you JandM for your constant assistance

People who have been in good standing and then are left not covered by a visa aren't immediately a big concern for INZ - they are just notified that they now need to make arrangements to leave. Provided they do this within a reasonable length of time, there is no black mark against them. It is if they DON'T go when they have been told, and they are then followed up and deported, that the kind of consequences you are fearing happen.

Hello , I am about to apply for my partners visitor visa and i am a resident so i am sponsering her visa. I left NZ so that we can stay together and collect evidence for ourselves as my partners visitor visa has been declined 2 times while i was on a student visa. I dont have a job and i have a personal loan of upto 6k. I have got 6-7 k in my nz bank account. Can i still sponser her for partnership based visitor visa. We also have a joint account here in home country and we are planning to have 2-3k nzd in this account as well. Could anyone tell me if this is enough to support her application.

And if i can provide evidence for atleast 3 months living together then can i apply for partnership based work visa from home country or do i have to go with visitor visa first. Any reply is appreciated. Thank you once again

Here https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ponsors/slider are all the details of what is required for being an acceptable sponsor.

If you are eligible, and with three months' evidence, you can apply for the partner-sponsored work visa, since the requirements for evidence of partnership are the same for visitor's or work visa, and you can apply from anywhere in the world. I think - and this is just me thinking, not something written in the regulations anywhere - it's probably more convincing if she applies while the two of you are still together at that point, even if afterwards, you need to go back to NZ. If you do that, remember to keep collecting evidence of how you are keeping in touch and keeping the partnership alive.

Thank you so much jand for your reply. I couldnt understand this line from INZ about sponsering partner.
    (not have an outstanding debt to the Crown or other third parties as a result of another sponsorship arrangement).

I have a personal loan of 6k from bank. Does this mean that i cant sponser my partner.

My partner visitor visa has been declined twice while I was on student visa. Now i as a NZ resident am very cautious about applying for work visa with just 3 months living together. And i wont leave for nz unless she gets her work or visitor visa. So with just 3 months of detailed proof of living together, is it a good idea to go with visitor or work visa. I am very nervous as i dont want to get her visa rejected again. Please someone share your experience with me. Thank you once again

Don't worry about this. Notice my bolding. If you had PREVIOUSLY sponsored someone else, who ended up owing money to the NZ government (the Crown) or other people in NZ, which you were still having to pay off, then you could not be a sponsor. They're not talking about normal financial loans.
    not have an outstanding debt to the Crown or other third parties as a result of another sponsorship arrangement

Thank you Jand once again as always. Your help is always a hope for us.

I will go with my partner work visa with 3 months living together proof. And i will stay with her until she gets her visa. Please help me if i should go with visitor instead for now. Or i should proceed with work visa . Thank you

You don't want her to visit then go away again, do you?

Some other people with a story like yours have sometimes found that, though they had applied for the work visa, INZ offered a visitor's visa to give them a chance to collect extra proof, if it was felt the case was not very solid. But if there is solid evidence, there is no reason not to ask for what you really want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast