Thread: PhD Student Visa Valid on Sabbatical?

Default PhD Student Visa Valid on Sabbatical?

Hi everyone,

I am posting on behalf of a friend here. She's a PhD student in NZ, but she has been feeling very overworked in the last one month and I have been constantly floating the idea of taking a sabbatical from her studies. Thankfully, she is beginning to consider the idea now. But I have question, if she goes on a sabbatical then will she be required to leave the country and go back to her home country during that period? Or can she continue living here on the student visa?

Thank you!

JandM, Karen and Chris—please let me know. Your expertise will be helpful because this is quite a technical aspect, I believe.

This is beyond my knowledge.

She can always apply for a leave if the University and her supervisor agrees. Wont call that sabbatical though if she isn't employed by the university or on a scholarship. Does she have travel restriction on her student visa? I never had any restriction while I was a Phd. student.

Quote Originally Posted by gayyanm View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am posting on behalf of a friend here. She's a PhD student in NZ, but she has been feeling very overworked in the last one month and I have been constantly floating the idea of taking a sabbatical from her studies. Thankfully, she is beginning to consider the idea now. But I have question, if she goes on a sabbatical then will she be required to leave the country and go back to her home country during that period? Or can she continue living here on the student visa?

Thank you!

JandM, Karen and Chris—please let me know. Your expertise will be helpful because this is quite a technical aspect, I believe.
    Over worked huh, i take she is not working if she is wanting a break for a month... She should confirm with the University and agree with supervisor. when my brother died, my studies was put on hold for one month. I went back home to my home country to be with my family and came back then it was resumed. if she is not coping then maybe she should think about changing to part time. I suggest she goes to University Student services, she could get help with planning and stuff....

I work full-time and doing my PhD full time... I have a solid plan that doesn't burn me out, that keeps me on track with my studies and also my work. I still go out with friends once a week....

Good luck