Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT Jobs in New Zealand

Default IT Jobs in New Zealand

I got Permanent Resident VISA thru Skilled Migrant Category.
    Planning to come to NZ shortly.
    Please suggest me the right way to look out for opening in IT.
    - Do I need to apply directly to the companies openings?
    - Do I need to contact Placement Consultants?
    - Is it mandatory to be in NZ to apply and find a job?
    - Can I apply being out side NZ? Will I get a call from the companies?

I have around 17+ Years of experience in IT, mainly in Testing, Project Management and Program (Delivery) Management.
    Please suggest.

Yes, it is possible to obtain IT jobs in NZ from abroad - thats exactly what I have done.

These were the barriers I faced:

1. Im in England, timezone differences have been 11 or 12 hours - making all telephone conversations to NZ happen when I should have been asleep.
    2. Most recruitment agents would not touch me, as i was not already in NZ, with no immediate right to work in NZ
    3. To obtain a essential skills visa i needed to be offered a job that the company was unable to find ANY NZ citizen or resident visa holder that was capable and willing to do the work.
    4. Reduced pool of employers to those willing to interview and offer without meeting face to face

I'm guessing, that (1) will be less painful for you, but still a bit of an issue. That (2) will not be a significant barrier for you, that (3) does not affect you, and that (4) will still be an issue. My specialty is DevOps, which is in particularly short supply world wide, which made it possible for me.

There are some cultural issues that you may need to make adjustments for. The CV style needed was different from the UK - and one of questions at interview will be about your arrival and settlement plans. not all migrations are successful, and potential employers are looking for indications that it will be successful for you.

It will be easier - and probably quicker to find work if you are already in NZ

Yes, it is possible to get a job in NZ... if you are living abroad..

if you are interested in my timeline visa experience, go to my profile

hang on... do you get PR, or Resident Visa?

Quote Originally Posted by heiryz View Post
    hang on... do you get PR, or Resident Visa?
    I have got a Resident VISA

Congratulations, sankarl! You've got your foot in the door :-)

I found this NZ-style CV builder, but if anyone else has tips, I'd be curious to hear what worked for you!
    https://www.careers.govt.nz/job-hunt...a-nz-style-cv/

I've done it remotely, as a software developer, and I'm not even native English speaker. You need to have something that they might want, then increase your chances by submitting many applications, and then during the interviews convince them about the seriousness of your plan to move.

Great to hear, yesno!

Quote Originally Posted by yesno View Post
    I've done it remotely, as a software developer, and I'm not even native English speaker. You need to have something that they might want, then increase your chances by submitting many applications, and then during the interviews convince them about the seriousness of your plan to move.
    It's such a motivational post We're new to New Zealand and trying to settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by hitc View Post
    It's such a motivational post We're new to New Zealand and trying to settle down.
    Cool! Are you traveling in NZ to look at different places, or do you have your heart set on a particular town? :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast