Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: areas in auckland

Default areas in auckland

what areas are the best & worst at the moment?

i know its not an easy question to answer,but we are looking to move there in a few months.we have 2 kids 2 & 4,were looking at schools etc

any info would be great

thanks
    neil

Hi Neil,

We're very strongly drawn towards Howick. My OH (Gil, who posts regularly on here) did a fair bit of research on schools and there's some pretty good ones in that part of Auckland.

thanks irons

i hope that isnt west ham ??

villa fan here,still upset about saturday

'fraid so Neil. In fact I've already given you a bit of a clue on another thread..... http://www.enz.org/forum/showpost.ph...8&postcount=12

To make up for it, I'll get you a few of these when we get to Auckland

did you see the game,it was "a game of 2 halves"
    villa were the better 1st half,you lot the 2nd.

look forward to the in that ice bar

youre not in NZ yet then? whens the big move?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil,Emma & kids

did you see the game,it was "a game of 2 halves"
    villa were the better 1st half,you lot the 2nd.

look forward to the in that ice bar

youre not in NZ yet then? whens the big move?
    Only saw the game on Football First (Sky). Agree with your summary though. We seem to have done that a few times this season - not quite sure why we start so slowly.

When's the move? Well, we've got our visas - just waiting to either sell our house or get a good job offer or two (whichever happens first).

Hmm, the ice bar....$20 for a drop of vodka . I reckon we have a quickie in the ice bar, then find a cheap and nasty local boozer for several beers and then return to the ice bar for a quickie before they close.

How far down the moving route are you guys?

ice bar,,then a session,,then i wouldnt make it back there

we are hoping to move in march,weve just had an offer on the house

if that all goes well it will be march,but were stopping for 2 holidays on the way over
    7-10 days in dubai
    7 days in brisbane

havent got a job offer yet,but i'll sort out a few interviews for when we have a definite date

East, ie Howick, Bucklands Beach etc, or North Shore seem to be the "good areas" south seems to be a bit rough, so do areas of the (wild) west. There is another thread you could look at that might be useful.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....light=auckland

It really does depend on what you're looking for. First thing to do is get your hands on a book called 'Where to live in Auckland' - basically it gives a breakdown of the areas, whats available in the area, pros and cons. Then, I think you need to have a look around once you get there. We initially looked at Whangaparoa (north of Auckland on the Hibiscus Coast) but decided it was a bit remote from everything we want. We then looked east to Howick, Bucklands Beach - great schools, beautiful beaches, good shopping.....pretty much everything you need. And some affordable areas too. The only reason we're no longer looking at that area is we sat down and thought about the reasons we were moving to Auckland - namely, to be close to my family. And seeing as my family are all out West....guess where we think we'll end up. Yes, there are some rough areas but there are some lovely areas too, with good schools and, often, much more house for your money. We're looking at schools too as we also have two children of 4 and 2.

Another place to look at is the East Coast Bays on the North Shore - such as Brown's Bay. Very popular with British expats. Beautiful area of the world!!

Good luck with your research.
    Debs

East Coast bays are really nice, anywhere seaward side of the Northern Motorway on the North Shore is good. Whanagaparoa is nice but can be a bit of a strecth from the city - but if you don't work in the city but work on the North Shore worth a look as you get more for your money. We have just started to take a look at Howick/Half Moon bay and it does seem very nice there. Again, far enough out of the city to actually get a decent house and site for reasonable price. We were told that anything north of Pakuranga is good, with Farm Cove and Sunnyhills (sort of sub suburbs of Howick) having particularly good reputations and schools.

Eastern suburbs of the city, such as Mission Bay, Kohi, St Heliers and Glendowie are nice, but a bit pricey and you won;t get much of a backyard. Agree that South of Onehunga, well lets just say you take your chances. Don't really know the west, Titirangi seems very nice but again a bit of a stretch out of the city. If its trendy cafes etc your after, then Ponsonby (or Newmarket) is the place to be (but expensive as close to the city) or, for the more upmarket, Parnell but you really do need to have a lot of $$$$ in your pocket for that suburb.

Of the central suburbs, Epsom and Mt Eden seem nice, but they are hemmed in by major roads which doesn't appeal to us. Remuera is of course real blue blood, solid middle class professional, nice houses some good sections but v. expensive for most of us ordinary Joes/Jos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast