Thread: Naturalisation Info Sharing

Question Naturalisation Info Sharing

Does anyone know if New Zealand shares naturalisation information with any other countries? The context is that I understand that I lost my South African citizenship when I became a new Zealander, but I wonder how the South African authorities would aware of this, if indeed they are.

South Africa doesn't allow you to have dual citizenship?

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin0011 View Post
    Only with prior permission, which must be obtained before NZ citizenship is acquired.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin0011 View Post
    Yes, dual citizenship is permitted if you apply before obtaining the 'foreign' citizenship.

SA legislation says that "a South African citizen shall cease to be a South African citizen if he or she, whilst not being a minor, by some voluntary and formal act other than marriage, acquires the citizenship or nationality of a country other than the Republic". I took up NZ citizenship with no expectation or desire to retain SA citizenship, but I'm curious whether a mechanism exists for SA to be advised that I've taken up NZ citizenship.

In other words - could I still be a SA citizen as far as SA is concerned?

For anyone who is interested, the NZ Citizenship Office says that they do not pass on any information to the country of origin.

I thought all passports were connected and that somehow that would cause the SA passport to become invalid.

I'd lose my Dutch citizenship should I take up NZ citizenship (unless I marry a Kiwi before then - which I think is discrimination against singles). I definitely wouldn't be able to renew my passport (I think you need to sign for not having taken up a different nationality) and thought it might be considered fraud if I'd try to use my Dutch passport - sure at least at the Dutch border they would see? However, I can't seem to find an explanation for this.