Thread: Help please, NZ citizen and an Asylum Seeker partner.

Unhappy Help please, NZ citizen and an Asylum Seeker partner.

Hi everyone,

I need help please, I am a New Zealand citizen and i have met a guy and been in relationship with him for over two years now and we recently got engaged and have just filed our marriage certificate and waiting for it to be approved (in Sydney, Australia). I met him in Australia (he's seeking Asylum and currently on a bridging visa/temporary visa) but I want to bring him back with me to Auckland, now i know i can apply for the partner residency visa but the problem is that he doesn't have a passport to travel with and he can't even obtain one, and I don't know how to apply for the partner residency visa, coz it requires you to send your passport or a copy of it at least, and once he's approved he won't have any documents for the visa to be printed on. I know of a case where NZI have provided a person in a similar situation with a one off certificate of identity/travel document but i don't know about the process?? Also i was checking today online and found something called Refugee Claimant visitor visa would he fit under this category? Can he come as a refugee or an asylum seeker??

Please help am not sure what to do or which to apply for?

Thank you in advance.

There may be someone reading this who has some past experience they can tell you about, but I haven't seen anyone post on the forum about any of these possibilities, so there's no guarantee that any forum member will know anything to tell you. For something so specialized, I think you may need to consult an immigration lawyer.

Hmmm...Its complicated matter and I think you definitely need an immigration lawyer. Establishing country of origin ID and background checks are also part of INZ requirements, its not just relationship or marriage in immigration eyes. Has he given full UN refugee status in Australia or from any other country? if yes than he should have Travel Document which allow him to travel but reading your post I think his case isn't fully resolved.

Honestly, In past I have been used in UK by similar marriage scenario and now I been used in NZ for residency by Fiji Indian woman. My problem is that I become fool so easily and pity on people very quickly. My kindness and humbleness always put me in trouble, now I am learning after two bad experiences. Its really sad and some people just want to use for residency or to stay in western world. Sorry, I was sharing my experience it doesn't mean that you might have same in future but I can't judge your choice. Take it as warning sign if you suspect why NZ for living? Why not Aussie?. I think you are kind and loving person.
    Last edited by CCIE_4_NZ_work; 11th May 2017 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCIE_4_NZ_work View Post
    Hmmm...Its complicated matter and I think you definitely need an immigration lawyer. Establishing country of origin ID and background checks are also part of INZ requirements, its not just relationship or marriage in immigration eyes. Has he given full UN refugee status in Australia or from any other country? if yes than he should have Travel Document which allow him to travel but reading your post I think his case isn't fully resolved.

Honestly, In past I have been used in UK by similar marriage scenario and now I been used in NZ for residency by Fiji Indian woman. My problem is that I become fool so easily and pity on people very quickly. My kindness and humbleness always put me in trouble, now I am learning after two bad experiences. Its really sad and some people just want to use for residency or to stay in western world. Sorry, I was sharing my experience it doesn't mean that you might have same in future but I can't judge your choice. Take it as warning sign if you suspect why NZ for living? Why not Aussie?. I think you are kind and loving person.
    Sorry- but why shouldn't a New Zealand citizen want to live in New Zealand? The OP said they met in Sydney, but that doesn't mean she intends to stay there forever.