Thread: NZQA IQA timelines and level 8 vs 9

Default NZQA IQA timelines and level 8 vs 9

Hi all,

I am sorry to be posting a NZQA related question here in immigration, but I think very few of us actually log into the NZQA topic.

It has been a month and a half since I submitted my request for an IQA but I haven't heard anything from NZQA people yet. Does anyone have a clue as to what their processing time for a standard application looks like at the moment?

Also, I am getting my M.Sc Economics degree from an Indian University assessed. It was a full time 2 year course with 20 courses spread over 4 semesters. Can someone please help me understand if this would be more like a level 8 or 9? This is extremely important for me because those master's points are the make or break for my EOI selection.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by param912003 View Post
    Hi all,

I am sorry to be posting a NZQA related question here in immigration, but I think very few of us actually log into the NZQA topic.

It has been a month and a half since I submitted my request for an IQA but I haven't heard anything from NZQA people yet. Does anyone have a clue as to what their processing time for a standard application looks like at the moment?

Also, I am getting my M.Sc Economics degree from an Indian University assessed. It was a full time 2 year course with 20 courses spread over 4 semesters. Can someone please help me understand if this would be more like a level 8 or 9? This is extremely important for me because those master's points are the make or break for my EOI selection.

Thanks a lot!
    Bro it will take up to 3 months, but if you lucky it can be done earlier.
    I received my IQA within 2 months.

Thanks, Mr.K. Which degree did you get assessed? Was it a master's? I am just curious to know.

For your reference, my wife and my IQA take 2.5 months. You can send an email to them and ask for the progress and what u can help to further provide, this seems a bit help to speed up.
    For your master degree, it sound like lv9, you need to get the final result to know

Thanks kne.

I also found a document here: http://www.nukiwi.com/nzis1080qualif.pdf

This is a comprehensive list of country wise institutions/degrees and the levels at which they are likely to be assessed. I think that this list has been updated over the years, but JandM and the other senior members comment on the credibility and legitimacy of the document.

I am sorry I have no idea of was happening with NZ immigration 14 years ago.

If you scroll to page 28 of this document - the very end - you'll see that it was issued in 2003. As the last poster says, this list is altered and updated as time passes, and at any time, the present version of it is here http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/35171.htm (Appendix 3 of the INZ operational manual).

This list isn't talking about "likely" assessment levels, but the levels at which they have been assessed. Therefore, if someone's degree - the exact title of it - is listed alongside the institution which they attended and which awarded it, and the year of the award is covered by the timing in the last column, then their degree does not have to be assessed again by NZQA for their visa application.

This list is not some kind of judgement on the educational establishments in other countries: it is not an insult if your university is not there. The reason why a degree appears on this list is because the course content has been checked out by NZQA, and they have found that it is very similar (and therefore comparable) to a degree course that is currently running in a New Zealand educational establishment. (This comparability is what is needed when claiming bonus points under LTSSL, for example.)

It can happen that someone finds their degree, and their university, on this list, but the dates in the last column stop before their graduation. In that case, they will have to get their degree assessed for IQA by NZQA. There are two reasons why this may happen. 1) The NZ university that did a similar course may have stopped running it. That means that there is no current NZ degree for the foreign one to be comparable to. 2) The foreign university may have changed its course content at a certain time, so that it then stopped being comparable to the NZ course.