Thread: A potentially helpful resouce for NZQA assessments

Default A potentially helpful resouce for NZQA assessments

Hi all,

I also found a document here: http://www.nukiwi.com/nzis1080qualif.pdf

This is a comprehensive list of country wise institutions/degrees and the levels at which they are likely to be assessed. I think that this list has been updated over the years, but JandM and the other senior members comment on the credibility and legitimacy of the document.

I am sorry I have no idea of was happening with NZ immigration 14 years ago but this might be quite useful while some of us are worrying thin about our assessments.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by param912003 View Post
    Hi all,

This is a comprehensive list of country wise institutions/degrees and the levels at which they are likely to be assessed. I think that this list has been updated over the years, but JandM and the other senior members comment on the credibility and legitimacy of the document.

I am sorry I have no idea of was happening with NZ immigration 14 years ago but this might be quite useful while some of us are worrying thin about our assessments.

Thanks!
    Sorry but I think its quite dangerous to take anything from this list which is 14 years old. It was also in use at a time of the old General Skills residence policy.

There have been multiple changes of which countries qualifications and exactly which qualifications are acceptable over the years.

Similarly an Australian publication call NOOSR also used to be used, but that too is out of date.

The only way of being sure is checking if the exact qualification is on the List of Qualifications exempt from assessment or an IQA

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...rom-assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by param912003 View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Interesting article, in that case im eligible for 50 points Just for my bachelors not talking about masters that i hold as well.

I am a low skilled unwanted person in nz right now. But previously before coming to nz I had applied to london business school and london school of economics along with some of the leading univeristies in the whole world.

Anyway if someone wants to research about this, start with bologna assessment rating. They use ratings released by "leading" journals (and not scholarly articles) from each country to rate your education.

Again I have no experience with nzqa or am I recognised by NZ market as someone who deserves silver fern but When I had applied to above mentioned places, we had to justify the univeristy rankings, alongwith how the course I had taken was ranked there along with how my performance was in the course as compared to the whole student group in that course (had to be over 2/3 of the student pool to qualify).

Just for disxussion purpose, i believe, also searching the base countries leading magazines/newspaper for rankings is also good idea.

(If anyones interested, i didnt get scholarship and the journal that bologna used for assessment ranked my univeristy in fourth. The very next year, after getting rejected the journal ranked my college/university 2nd for the course undertaken)

Sorry but these days i feel im the most unluckiest person on the planet hope i can help you.

I entirely agree with ChrisMwn. This is something which happens to be still around on the internet, although it has been superseded. DON'T USE THIS. I will repeat here a post I've made on another thread https://www.enz.org/forum/showthread...982#post560982, where you've mentioned this same document.
    If you scroll to page 28 of this document - the very end - you'll see that it was issued in 2003. As the last poster says, this list is altered and updated as time passes, and at any time, the present version of it is here http://onlineservices.immigration.go...nual/35171.htm (Appendix 3 of the INZ operational manual).

This list isn't talking about "likely" assessment levels, but the levels at which they have been assessed. Therefore, if someone's degree - the exact title of it - is listed alongside the institution which they attended and which awarded it, and the year of the award is covered by the timing in the last column, then their degree does not have to be assessed again by NZQA for their visa application.

This list is not some kind of judgement on the educational establishments in other countries: it is not an insult if your university is not there. The reason why a degree appears on this list is because the course content has been checked out by NZQA, and they have found that it is very similar (and therefore comparable) to a degree course that is currently running in a New Zealand educational establishment. (This comparability is what is needed when claiming bonus points under LTSSL, for example.)

It can happen that someone finds their degree, and their university, on this list, but the dates in the last column stop before their graduation. In that case, they will have to get their degree assessed for IQA by NZQA. There are two reasons why this may happen. 1) The NZ university that did a similar course may have stopped running it. That means that there is no current NZ degree for the foreign one to be comparable to. 2) The foreign university may have changed its course content at a certain time, so that it then stopped being comparable to the NZ course.

Thanks everyone. I was anyway not sure about the credibility of this document and this group does a great job at helping people get their facts right. Definitely not relying on it!