I intend to study for a PhD through a student loan as the only means for financing the studies since the current supervisor does not have funding. I checked my eligibility with StudyLink and I called them a couple of times for confirmation but every time I call I get conflicting answers regarding whether or not I am eligible for student loan. Relevant facts in this matter are that I am a convention refugee (been granted that in 2015) and on this basis I applied for a PR visa that I was granted 2016.

The way StudyLink interprets What is meant by Residence mentions being a convention refugee as one of the categories (here is the link: https://www.studylink.govt.nz/about-...type.html#null). The interpretation determines if you have to wait for three years from the date you are granted residence before qualifying for a student loan. However, when the StudyLink case officer looked in my PR visa they decided that I do not qualify until 2019 because I was granted residence in 2016. My question is, what is more relevant in determining my student loan eligibility against this stand down period ? My Refugee status or the date I was granted residence ?.