Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Proposed SMC Points System 2017

Default New Proposed SMC Points System 2017

Hi all,

Here's the new proposed points system for SMC: http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-service...t-category.pdf

This is not the final word, but close to what we can expect.

It is openly available on the INZ website also (under the cabinet papers link).

Base on this document, there should be more offshore applicants with much experience eligible to apply.

For my case, more than 10 years working experience +20 , Master Degree +10, age 30-39 +5, even removed qualification in an area of skills shortage -10, in total I have 25 points more than before. As a result, I have enough points to apply in older age, no need to hurry before 40 years old in current point system.

The major change is working experience adding many points, this covered the loss of qualification skill shortage and qualification future grow area.

When the SMC selection points change from 140 to 160, number of offshore without job offer applicants drop from 2xx to 1x every fornight selection. I think INZ would like to increase applicants this section.

For skilled employment changes, which added salary threshold, I think INZ would like to restrict those graduated students with less experience to get resident visa too fast after they just graduated 2 years, which may just doing low technical level job without much contribuation to NZ. (I agree with this change a lot)

useful link thanks for sharing

They want implement this proposal from July 2017... I have to act fast then :-D

Quote Originally Posted by kne View Post
    Base on this document, there should be more offshore applicants with much experience eligible to apply.

For my case, more than 10 years working experience +20 , Master Degree +10, age 30-39 +5, even removed qualification in an area of skills shortage -10, in total I have 25 points more than before. As a result, I have enough points to apply in older age, no need to hurry before 40 years old in current point system.

The major change is working experience adding many points, this covered the loss of qualification skill shortage and qualification future grow area.

When the SMC selection points change from 140 to 160, number of offshore without job offer applicants drop from 2xx to 1x every fornight selection. I think INZ would like to increase applicants this section.

For skilled employment changes, which added salary threshold, I think INZ would like to restrict those graduated students with less experience to get resident visa too fast after they just graduated 2 years, which may just doing low technical level job without much contribuation to NZ. (I agree with this change a lot)
    Not really for offshore without job offer..

the partner qualification for degree -10 and principal with only degree and without job offer + wife degree max i believe will be 155 points only. unless my calculation wrong

Well... I think most people will be unsuccessful because of salary threshold, I don't know many people on lets say Caregiver position who is or will be (after 1.7.2017) earning more than $21 and in care industry is simply not enough money to pay $23.50/hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladin0011 View Post
    Well... I think most people will be unsuccessful because of salary threshold, I don't know many people on lets say Caregiver position who is or will be (after 1.7.2017) earning more than $21 and in care industry is simply not enough money to pay $23.50/hr.
    I agree. Many occupation cannot fulfill the $48k after they graduate. I.e. Accountant, auditors. The starting pay is typically 44-45k and with 5% pay rise yearly. It takes 2 years to meet the criteria provided the criteria do not change in the next 2 years.

However, looking across the Tasman sea, Australia, there are many of my peers whom already got PR shortly after they graduate. As Australia emphasis qualification , English and age. Job experience is not a key component even though it still gives applicant the extra points advantage. wages is not even a component in their skilled immigration.

Quote Originally Posted by ysc5 View Post
    I agree. Many occupation cannot fulfill the $48k after they graduate. I.e. Accountant, auditors. The starting pay is typically 44-45k and with 5% pay rise yearly. It takes 2 years to meet the criteria provided the criteria do not change in the next 2 years.

However, looking across the Tasman sea, Australia, there are many of my peers whom already got PR shortly after they graduate. As Australia emphasis qualification , English and age. Job experience is not a key component even though it still gives applicant the extra points advantage. wages is not even a component in their skilled immigration.
    On my observation, I think there are many students after they graduated, they would find a SMC related job and apply Resident SMC immediately. Most of them may get RV within one year after graduated. Then after another 2 years, they can get PRV and some of them (may be most of them) will go back to their home country to live. They only spend around 3 years after graduated to get PRV, this may be quite easy for them to get pass and most of them are willing to do so, even through they have not intention to live in NZ in long term.

I think the current salary threshold is to filter out those who want to get PRV before leaving. Now after graduated they may need to works for some years to accumulate experience, as a result to increase they competitive in the job market to reach the salary threshold. Ultimately, in normal case after students graduated, they may need to spend 2-3 years to get the RV, in total 4-5 years to get PRV. For those students who what to leave NZ they could not willing to spend such a long time. That's why I strongly agree with this change. Resident visa should only be grant to those who really want to stay and contribute to the country. (for the level of salary threshold amount, someone say it is too high, I have no idea on it, I just agree with the intention of this change)

Only IT, engineers and some other professionals like doctors/lawyers graduates will meet the salary requirement. Majority of the others spend the next 2-3 years working at skilled 4 job. After they gained the relevant work experience, they then move to a skill 1-2 job. During these period they are at the mercy of the employer because the visa is tied to a single employer. However, comparing to Canada or Australia, these group of people would most likely to be permanent residence and have the flexibility to move to other cities or job without holdup.

in addition, this does not solve the "job buying" problem that's lurking for sometime. U

Useful link and information. Thanks for sharing with us.

As per New Proposed SMC Points System 2017 (http://www.mbie.govt.nz/info-service...t-category.pdf ),

Looks like I am going to get 160 points, I am curiously waiting for this change update as early as possible

-> Age -----(20-39)---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30
    -> Qualification (Msc - Computers - Levl 9-/ ------------------------------------------ 70
    -> Work Experience 10+ as (261311-Analyst Programmer)----------------------- 50
    -> Spouse (Btech Engineering - level 7 + English + Zero Experience ) ------- 10
    -> -----------------------------------------------------------Total Points --------------------160

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast