Thread: If SMC is declined?

Default If SMC is declined?

I was just wondering friends, that as there are lot of changes made by immigration i just wanted to understand what could be the next option. I have been reading recently about lot of declination in SMC category. I am currently on Post study employer assisted visa for 2 years and my SMC is in process, if at all god forbid it doesn't work i wanted to understand what should be my next step. As i am with my wife and a child and want to safeguard their future.

I am sure lot of other applicants would have such concerns. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

As you have said, a lot of possible changes are being talked about, but until anything is definitely decided, there is no way to know for certain what will be in force at some future time. For the moment I suggest that researching the various temporary work visas https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...k-visa-options is all you can do. Your family can continue to have visas matching yours for length of time if you have one of these.

Another thought - does your wife have qualifications? Could she get a visa in her own right linked to a skilled job? If so, you and your child could get visas dependent on hers.

Anyway, all that is only 'just in case'. Wishing all the best for your current ongoing application.

Quote Originally Posted by rakeshbandi View Post
    ........and my SMC is in process.

Not quite sure what that means. What stage are you at? EOI submitted/EOI selected/ITA sent to you/ITA submitted by you/waiting for case officer assignment/Case Officer actively working your case?

You are fine whatever happens for the current duration of your post study work visa. You'll be aware that there are probably more stringent salary requirements coming in soon for the SMC visa (read the cabinet proposal posted on here the other day which suggests July implementation).

That's the reason I ask how far along you are with your SMC visa application, I'm making assumptions but a lot of people on post-study work visas have ended up in low-paying jobs, which in the future are unlikely to qualify for any route to residency. Forgive me if this isn't relevant in your case. If you've already submitted your ITA and have solid evidence for 160+ points the changes will probably not affect you, but from previous experience they WILL affect people in the EOI pool.

Hi Redvee,

My SMC application is at CO document verification stage my employer has sent additional documents today as requested by CO(2nd time in about a weeks time)

Thank you
    Rakesh

Good luck. How big is the store you are managing? If you have lots of direct reports, and do all (or pretty nearly all) of the duties expected of a Manager then you should be fine if all of your other points stack up.