Thread: Skilled Migration Category Visa questions

Default Skilled Migration Category Visa questions

Hello all – this post is regarding my understanding of the Skilled Migrant Category Visa (SMC) process – please do feel free to comment.

Our family’s aim (me, wife and son), is to live and work in New Zealand. Key for us is to ensure permanent residency, so that our son’s schooling is uninterrupted, where possible, as opposed to spending a two year period and then leaving again.

Thus, the Skilled Migrant Category visa appears to be the one for us. As the main applicant, I’ve completed the points assessment, and we qualify for 135 points, without a job offer. As my degree (MBA) has to be vetted by NZQA, I completed the Pre Assessment Result Application last week – this is currently in “Application awaiting process” status. In hindsight, I should have just gone with the IQA, but such is life… (My intent is to apply for the IQA as soon as the PAR result is returned to me).

Anyway, once I get the PAR back, I’ll then still be short around 25 points, but I will be pretty sure that my qualification will be recognised. To submit an EOI, I must have 160 points. A job offer in my field (ICT) will push my points up to around 195.

However, the problem I have is that I’m not in New Zealand, and most jobs seem to indicate that they want applicants that are allowed to work in New Zealand, i.e. applicants that already have the relevant visa. I cannot fill that category yet, as I cannot submit my EOI, due to only having 135 points.

Firstly, is my interpretation of the process correct so far?

Secondly, I’m assuming that my only option is to secure a job offer before submitting the EOI?

Lastly, my concern is that if I do manage to secure a job offer, and only thereafter submit the EOI, it could take months and months before my visa is approved, and thus I’m not sure how long companies are prepared to wait for an applicant that has to go thru the EOI process.

Comments appreciated😊

Firstly, is my interpretation of the process correct so far?
    Yes.

Secondly, I’m assuming that my only option is to secure a job offer before submitting the EOI?
    Yes.

On your last point, many people apply simultaneously for residence under SMC and also a temporary work visa. The latter can be processed more quickly, so the worker can start work while the processing of the SMC application ticks along in the background, taking as long as it takes.

Great! Thanks JandM

Right. I'm curious if the temporary visa solution will still work after the proposed changes this summer, as the press release mentioned no longer allowing partners/children to get visas based on the worker's "essential skills" visa. Of course there are temporary visas other than essential skills, so I am hoping those won't be affected.

The proposals - which haven't been passed or implemented yet - talk about not allowing in the partners and families of low-skilled workers given an Essential Skills visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...-work-settings If someone is eligible to apply under SMC, they aren't going to be a low-skilled worker, so the restriction would not affect them.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The proposals - which haven't been passed or implemented yet - talk about not allowing in the partners and families of low-skilled workers given an Essential Skills visa. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...-work-settings If someone is eligible to apply under SMC, they aren't going to be a low-skilled worker, so the restriction would not affect them.
    Oh okay - I wasn't sure if there were different kinds of Essential Skills visa. That's a relief :-)