Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partnership residence class visa declined

Exclamation Partnership residence class visa declined

Hi guys,

I'm freaking out. I applied for a residence visa a few weeks ago and found out it was declined today (23rd May), but haven't been told why, they said it would have a letter with my application sent back to me. My current visa is the temporary work based visa:Under partnership and it expires on 7th june 2018, two weeks!

I have a 1 year old son and am two months pregnant. I can't just up and leave. My partner is a NZ citizen and my son was also born here. I'm from the UK.

Can I apply for the same visa twice? So the temporary work partnership visa. Is it the same process as if I was applying as fresh?

Please help, I'm panicking!! What do I do??

Thank you,
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by stephvg View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm freaking out. I applied for a residence visa a few weeks ago and found out it was declined today (23rd May), but haven't been told why, they said it would have a letter with my application sent back to me. My current visa is the temporary work based visa:Under partnership and it expires on 7th june 2018, two weeks!

I have a 1 year old son and am two months pregnant. I can't just up and leave. My partner is a NZ citizen and my son was also born here. I'm from the UK.

Can I apply for the same visa twice? So the temporary work partnership visa. Is it the same process as if I was applying as fresh?

Please help, I'm panicking!! What do I do??

Thank you,
    Steph
    Hi Steph

Sorry to hear that. I think you should apply for another temporary work visa again.

Sounds like a genuine, stable partnership to me. Surprised it was declined. Do you have a criminal record?

Quote Originally Posted by stephvg View Post
    ... and it expires on 7th june 2018, two weeks!
    Also, are you posting from the future?

Yes, and yes. And don't panic. As long as you lodge an application for a visa while the present one is still valid, even by two or three DAYS, INZ can issues you with an interim visa to keep you legal while the processing happens.

Meantime, the letter should bring the reason for refusal of the residence application. Maybe when you see what this turns out to be, there will be some obvious action to be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by swearwolves View Post
    Sounds like a genuine, stable partnership to me. Surprised it was declined. Do you have a criminal record?

No criminal record think it was just small things here and there. Nothing huge but things they couldn't give me one for. I understand it's their job.

Also, are you posting from the future?
    My mistake 2017!

If u don't mind, please share reasons of refusal .

Thank you

Maybe it's a stupid question... But what really is the difference in partnership evidence for temporary work visa and resident visa (when it's a kiwi or resident partner)? Both visas require us to provide evidence of partnership 12 months or more. I understand more / "better" documents are needed for resident visas (e.g. Birth Certificate, more docs witnessed by JP, more thorough checks of the partner)... I also understand resident visa are scrutinized in more detail.
    BUT in terms of proving partnership, is the threshold different? I thought it's the same: evidence of genuine and stable relationship for at least a year. Do I need to prove that my relationship is "better"/"stronger" when apply for residence visa?
    Many thanks for clarification. And sorry for my ignorance...

Both visas require us to provide evidence of partnership 12 months or more.
    No, that's not right. Twelve months evidence is required for residence. For a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, there is no actual time specified, but we know from other people's cases in the past that INZ take seriously cases where the partners have proof that they have been living together for two to three months.

Right, sorry. I was mistaken by this statement on partnership-based temp visa application form: "Evidence of the duration you have been living together with emphasis on the last 12 months" (page 2 of the form). Thanks for correcting me, JandM.

Still, is this (i.e. duration of partnership) the only difference in terms of "partnership proof"? Many thanks.

Yes.

And that emphasis on the time leading up to the application is because INZ are going to be looking at what is the situation for the couple NOW. A person won't be granted a visa on the basis that they used to live together some time in the past, but don't now, not unless there is a very solid reason (work or study commitments, or one of them having to leave because of visa requirements) for their not being together, and a strong chain of proof of how they have maintained the relationship during the absence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast