Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IELTS overall score of 6.5

Default IELTS overall score of 6.5

"The minimum English language requirement for applicants under the Skilled Migrant Category is an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) overall score of 6.5 across the four language domains (reading, writing, listening and speaking)."

I am a bit confused about this statement. Does this mean that I only need to get a overall score of 6.5 or 6.5 of each module? For example, I get a R-5.5, W-6.5, L-7, S-6 = 6.5. Does I qualify?

Yes it is the overall score that matters.
    Not the individual scores per module.
    My husband had less than 6.5 in 2 of the modules and he qualified because his overall was 6.5

Yes, it is correct that it is the average that matters - there must be an average score of 6.5.

5.5 + 6.5 + 7 + 6.5 = 25

25 divided by four = 6.25.

So I'm sorry to say that you don't qualify on this test - you are 0.25 short of what is needed.

JandM, but if the IELTS scorecard shows the overall score as 6.5 then is it acceptable?

Well yes in my husband s case... he got 5.5, 6, 6.5 and 7...
    The total divided by 4 makes less than 6.5 so we thought it would not be ok but as the Overall Band Score indicated was 6.5 it was ok for him.
    They must have their own way of calculating the average which we did no want to discuss at all loool
    Last edited by nzfrog; 27th May 2017 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theresearcher View Post
    JandM, but if the IELTS scorecard shows the overall score as 6.5 then is it acceptable?
    In that case, yes.

Thank you, guys. That is a relief. Luckily, the british council gave me a overall score of 6.5 in my scoresheet eventhough I actually got 6.25, as what JandM explained.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    In that case, yes.
    Thanks JandM.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Yes, it is correct that it is the average that matters - there must be an average score of 6.5.

5.5 + 6.5 + 7 + 6.5 = 25

25 divided by four = 6.25.

So I'm sorry to say that you don't qualify on this test - you are 0.25 short of what is needed.
    Dear JandM, this time let me contribute some useful information.

In IELTS test, if any score between 6.25 and 6.74, it will also recognized as 6.5

see here:
    https://www.ielts.org/ielts-for-orga...ring-in-detail

If the average of the four components ends in .25, the Overall Band Score is rounded up to the next half band, and if it ends in .75, the Overall Band Score is rounded up to the next whole band.

So for Zac Henry case, his average score is 6.5 and eligible to apply for NZ immigration

If we have nz level 8 qualification do we need to provide evidence of ielts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast