Thread: Skilled Migrant Visa as self employed

Default Skilled Migrant Visa as self employed

I think this seems to be a big grey area, so I'm asking if anyone has ever applied successfully for the Skilled migrant category visa while working as a self employed contractor?

No, it's not a grey area. It is spelt out in section SM7.15 b of the operational manual.
    Employment must be ongoing and sustainable. Ongoing and sustainable employment is:
    i an offer of employment or current employment, with a single employer, that is permanent or indefinite, and of which the employer is in a position to meet the terms specified; or
    ii an offer of employment or current employment with a single employer, for a stated term of at least 12 months; or
    iii employment on a contract basis where the applicant:
    o
    has a consistent history of contract work, and
    o
    has a current contract for services, and
    o
    INZ is satisfied that such contract work is likely to be sustained.
    Note:
    When assessing whether employment is sustainable, officers may consider, but are not limited
    to, such factors as the residence status of the employer, the period for which the employing
    organisation has been established as a going concern, and the financial sustainability of the employing
    organisation.
    Where an offer of employment or current employment is for a stated term of at least 12 months, the stated term must be valid both at the time the application is lodged and when the application is decided, in particular:
    ~ if the applicant has current employment, he or she must be in that employment, or
    ~ if the applicant has an offer of employment, the offer must continue to be valid.

iii employment on a contract basis where the applicant:
    o
    has a consistent history of contract work, and
    o
    has a current contract for services,
    Just so i am clear, this is acceptable to cover a self employed contractor?

Only if he's working for a SINGLE employer, meeting the requirements above.