Thread: Partnership student visa when couple had living apart

Default Partnership student visa when couple had living apart

Hi everyone
    I would like to ask a question for partnership student visa. My husband is going to do his Phd in New Zealand and I want to joint him but the problem is that we had long distance relationship. We met each other in 2011 in our home country. He went to Australia in 2013 and I also went to Germany to study. He finished his studying and come back our home country in 2016 and I also came back and get married there (we had official marriage certificate). After that, I had to flight back Germany to finish my study in 2017 and we want to apply visa in Dec 2017.
    So, we have the problem with the term “living together” as the requirement for partnership visa. But they also mention
    “If a principal applicant and their partner have lived apart for periods during their partnership, the application should not automatically be declined. Instead, immigration officers should determine whether there are genuine and compelling reasons for any period(s) of separation.
    Determining whether there are genuine and compelling reasons will depend on the circumstances in each case, and may require consideration of:
    either partner's family, education or employment commitments;
    the duration of the partnership and the length of time the couple has spent apart;
    the extent to which the couple has made efforts to be together during the time apart.”
    Which I think that quite met with our case. We have to be separated by education commitment and we also made efforts to see each other at least once per year during this time. What should we show them to prove our relationship? Is it still possible for us to apply for this visa?
    Thank you so much, I am appreciated for your help.
    We really love each other and want to reunion for our future but it is seeming like not easy
    Last edited by Hanna062; 3rd June 2017 at 11:56 AM.

Hello hanna, my situation was somewhat like yours, I came to nz in 2013 on student visa and i was dating girl. After one year in 2014 she went to germany and we were still in long distance relationship. In 2015 she came back from germany and we married. But i had to come back to nz to complete my studies. In 2017 march i got my residence approved and i came back to home country to live with her for 3 months to collect evidence so that i can apply for her partneship work visa. Immigration takes partnership based visa serious if we have atleast 2-3 months if living together as a proof before you apply for partnership based visa . I have applied for her visa with all the proof i have collected in these three months as well as evidence from 2013 until now like gifts send to each other and all other proof. So i have told you my situation and i am waiting for her visa to be granted so i can take her nz.

Its not immigration advice . Just my opinion. All the best

Hey there,

I can't provide immigration advice but I am just sharing my experience because I was in a similar situation once.
    My partner had applied for a partnership based work visa when I came to do my phd here in NZ. However, we didn't get one but were granted a 9 month visitor visa so that we could live together and gather proof to reapply for the spouse work visa later. From what I understood with some detailed communication with my case officer that time was that living together is a mandatory condition to prove the stability of your relationship. It is not that INZ questions the love couples share but they can only grant visas if the applicant satisfies all the conditions for that—and they can check off boxes in their system. As it stands, there are no exceptions to this.

Quote Originally Posted by sameer456 View Post
    Hello hanna, my situation was somewhat like yours, I came to nz in 2013 on student visa and i was dating girl. After one year in 2014 she went to germany and we were still in long distance relationship. In 2015 she came back from germany and we married. But i had to come back to nz to complete my studies. In 2017 march i got my residence approved and i came back to home country to live with her for 3 months to collect evidence so that i can apply for her partneship work visa. Immigration takes partnership based visa serious if we have atleast 2-3 months if living together as a proof before you apply for partnership based visa . I have applied for her visa with all the proof i have collected in these three months as well as evidence from 2013 until now like gifts send to each other and all other proof. So i have told you my situation and i am waiting for her visa to be granted so i can take her nz.

Its not immigration advice . Just my opinion. All the best
    Hi sameer, thank you for sharing. I'll come back and we live together when we apply but I am afraid it is even less than 3 months. So complicated anyway I hope your wife will get visa soon. Please share the result when you get it , best of luck !!!
    Last edited by Hanna062; 3rd June 2017 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by param912003 View Post
    Hey there,

I can't provide immigration advice but I am just sharing my experience because I was in a similar situation once.
    My partner had applied for a partnership based work visa when I came to do my phd here in NZ. However, we didn't get one but were granted a 9 month visitor visa so that we could live together and gather proof to reapply for the spouse work visa later. From what I understood with some detailed communication with my case officer that time was that living together is a mandatory condition to prove the stability of your relationship. It is not that INZ questions the love couples share but they can only grant visas if the applicant satisfies all the conditions for that—and they can check off boxes in their system. As it stands, there are no exceptions to this.
    Hi param,thank for sharing. But with visitor visa, we cannot work, right? I want to work so that we can earn something for our expense

The previous posters are both quite right. Showing around three months' living together is an ABSOLUTE requirement, no exceptions. And it has to be actually living together.
    Living together means sharing the same home as your partner, which doesn’t include:

spending time in each other’s homes while you each maintaining your own home
    sharing accommodation while on holiday
    flatmate arrangements.
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...on/partnership

I'm afraid that what you would like to have, and what you can get, are different. It is up to each person to fit in with INZ regulations. They do not HAVE to grant any visa, so getting one at all, as a step towards what you want, as param912003 did, is a victory.

Hello hanna, You have think wisely. Instead of not having a visa and waiting for your husband to come home . You should think smart. What if you apply for visitor visa and then live your husband for 3 months in Nz and collect evidence and then apply for work visa.

Can anyone tell me if TT service in India are open on queens birthday which is on monday? I need to submit some documents.

It is just an opinion not immigration advice.